Pinarello Montello SLX - headset question

JSH

rBotM Winner
One for a Pinarello experts...

I have a frame being renovated at the moment but have the forks at home as they are all chrome. I was just sorting out an Italian headset for it and was having a problem getting it to thread on to the steerer. I didn't want to force it and just happened to try an English threaded cup and it flew on.

I wasn't expecting that. Is it the case that someone has recut the steerer thread or could it have been supplied like that?

Cheers
John

Re:

the fork is stamped on the steerer with the correct frame number: IP207 - so I'm pretty certain its correct. I haven't tried the headset on another fork but the top race are nut are stamped 25.4mm x 24F and the threads are clean and don't look damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_6566.jpg
    IMG_6566.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_6567.jpg
    IMG_6567.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 511
Then I can only thing your italian headset could be somehow damaged, maybe you can check it with another fork/steerer if not done already.

They look ok though - its a bit of a mystery.

Attachments

• IMG_6568.jpg
    IMG_6568.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 508
The English headset will fly on due to the larger pitch size. I think a bit of a clean on the threads and perseverance and you troubles will abate.

The threads are the same so they are interchangeable, I think the difference is something to do with the angle the threads are cut?

Re:

I was putting a nice Italian Super Record headset on but may stick with the C-Rec British, When I pick the frame I could asl them to run a die over the steerer

Latest posts

Back