Bottom Bracket question..

BretonDave

Old School Hero
Bought a late 70's Gitane with a lovely Campy Nuovo Record triple chainset with correct Campy triple bottom bracket.

I have tried to fit this to my '82 Holdsworth Nuovo Record after changing the French cups to identical BS cups - found that the inner ring touches the chainstay!

I've double checked spindle sizes etc and this SHOULD fit - any advice appreciated.

Cheers, Dave

Presuming you have measured right and have the axle in the right way then it might be the chainstay. Some chainstays have a dent for the rings which is massive (more room) or miniscule like my Bob Jackson.

Re:

Stick a washer behind the fixed cup. Its the same spacing washer you use before putting a modern cassette onto a freehub

Re:

Or "adjust"the chain stay with a hard object.Gently,fully supporting it.

Re:

Hi, thanks for your input (as per usual),

I like the washer idea - but not sure if I want to reduce the amount of thread from the cup in the BB - anyone done it before?

Yes, it works. Just don't go overboard on the thickness of the washer. I use the washer that you put at the back of a freewheel or a single fixed/free cog to bring the chain line into alignment. It is the same size that will fit your bottom bracket cup.
It depends how much the inner ring is touching the chain stay. if just a tad then a washer 1/2mm wide will be fine. If hard up against it then you need a different solution; either a dent in the chain stay, as already mentioned, or try fitting a smaller inner ring which may then give clearance on a less protruding part of the chain stay.

Re: Re:

BretonDave":10hcojzt said:

I like the washer idea - but not sure if I want to reduce the amount of thread from the cup in the BB - anyone done it before?
your limiting factor is on the left (adj cup) side. If the adj cup threads in too far and you cant FULLY screw on the lockring, then you won't have a solidly-adjusted bottom bracket ... if that reads ok ..

Re: Re:

pigman":2aesrn2v said:
BretonDave":2aesrn2v said:

your limiting factor is on the left (adj cup) side. If the adj cup threads in too far and you cant FULLY screw on the lockring, then you won't have a solidly-adjusted bottom bracket ... if that reads ok ..

You could face off a bit of the non drive side bb shell to claw back the width of the washer.

Back