Carlton Gran Tour

Sam1984

Dirt Disciple
While my Carlton Corsa is being repainted, I found this rather nice Carlton Gran Tour online. Couldn't resist!

However, I can't find any information online about it. It's strangely set up now as 'fixie', but actually with a 5 speed cassette and no derailleurs. It also has flat handlebars, which were probably not original. The seller claimed to have had it 25 years from new, and the frame number is WM1000173 - so is that 1991?

Were these sold as just framesets? I'd be interested to see what it originally looked like if it was a complete bike. Any information gratefully received!

Attachments

• 20170826_113648.jpg
    20170826_113648.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 998
Re:

That is a 1977-80 bike everyday of the week, would have had Suntour VX running gear on it. The bars look old so may have been changed at the bike shop on the customers wishes (was quite often done) ;)

P.S. I love it and am quite jealous :mrgreen:

The Frame number is 1981 and for the life of me can't remember seeing them in any cycle catalogues lol

Re:

Midlife, you were my best hope after identifying the Corsa! If there's no catalogue entry I feel entitled to put a modern groupset on it and put some miles on it! No cable routing for derailleurs though, what did they expect people to do?

I have a sneaky suspicion it was a frame only as it would have been in competition with the Corsair Demi-Course if built as a full bike.

BITD you had to buy band on cable stops and guides for frames without braze ons. My Falcon had zero braze ons lol

The rear end might be 126mm but should spring to 130 :)

Re:

I saw that and looks amazing. But £650?! Wasn't convinced that was the original set up, hence my question. Would love to find a brochure listing.

While thinking, the missing braze ons have likely been ground off by an LFGSS follower, my Carlton Pro suffered the same fate :(

Very nice looking steed Mr Bagpuss

Re:

The chap who now owns it ,got plenty of comments on it whilst riding in the USA. Recently he was riding it in Snowdonia and when visiting a geoloey centre {He is a Doctor of geoloey} a Dutch chap was waxing lyricral over it.

How sorting the bike out for him he had a strict criteria , no new parts unless necessary. He is big into recycling.

Back