7/8/9 Speed Compatibility

drcarlos

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This question has been asked before with some variations but does quite cover what I want to know.
Having been out on my Altus 531, I like the bike but the suicide shifters are hindering me quite a bit to the point where I wait until I have to shift and then block shift 3 cogs so I don't have to keep taking hands off the bars and looking down.
So I'd like to move to STI, I figured I could just get some 8s brifters and use them without 1 click and use them with my 7s 105 setup. Reading another thread it appears the spacing betwen 7 and 8s is different and they may just tolerate each other but it won't be reliable.
So the next question is can't I just get a new 8s cassette, chain and 8s brifters and fit them?
Also as the 9s stuff is more common will a 9s cassette also fit (with the obligatory chain and brifters) and will my 1055 mech work too (logic says it should if the width is the same)?

Cheers,

Carl.

Wheels

7 speed uses a narrower freehub, 8 and 9 use the same

Shifters

You can get away with using 8 on 7, but otherwise only "matched" combinations work

Rear Mech

It'll be fine.

cce":15q4yk82 said:
Wheels

7 speed uses a narrower freehub, 8 and 9 use the same

Shifters

You can get away with using 8 on 7, but otherwise only "matched" combinations work

Rear Mech

It'll be fine.

And by that logic then I guess I can't fit a larger body with my 105 wheels then as it won't fit within the frame. Balls.

Carl.

This one?

20150105_132320_zpsiqcvurwo.jpg

If so, on this bike all you have to do (sounds easy dont it) is swap that back wheel which I assume is 130mm with the later 8spd versions. This will then give you 8 or 9 speed options.

The front mech maaaaay need changing as it may have a different cable pull and reach depending on the STi chosen - but that may just be a case of faffing a bit.

The existing rear mech and chainset will be fine

wheels?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Open-Su ... SwdGFYtWbC

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":nvi7keh0 said:
This one?

20150105_132320_zpsiqcvurwo.jpg

If so, on this bike all you have to do (sounds easy dont it) is swap that back wheel which I assume is 130mm with the later 8spd versions. This will then give you 8 or 9 speed options.

The front mech maaaaay need changing as it may have a different cable pull and reach depending on the STi chosen - but that may just be a case of faffing a bit.

The existing rear mech and chainset will be fine

wheels?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mavic-Open-Su ... SwdGFYtWbC

That's the one, I'll measure the OLN when I get a chance but I was also assuming 130mm.
Not such an easy upgrade then, could cost me a few pounds. I'd already upgraded the chainset as I had it hanging around, maybe i'll get some ultegra stuff, I'll have to have a think about this.

Carl.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":28fgqscu said:
IF you dont mind tubs, I have a nice wheelset available... :p
Never tried tubs so I don't have an opinion either way.

Drop me a pm with the details and I'll have a think about it.

Cheers

Got some old 3x9 6500 with new hoods here if you're interested perfectly serviceable.

Back