Paris 'Tour de france' frame and parts

Tuvelo

Retro Newbie
I think there's probably a thread, somewhere, that answers these questions, apologies if so but after a bit of a rummage I couldn't find it.
I have just been given what appears to be a Paris 'Tour de France' frame and some parts, I will post pictures if helpful/there's interest before I start what looks like being a long project to get it back on the road.
I think it's a Tour de France frame judging from pictures I've found in various galleries online, what were the distinguishing features of the TdF? There are no original graphics on it, it had what I am going to call an interesting refinish in the '60s (good quality finish, but as decals weren't available 'Paris' was handpainted on the down and head tubes).
Frame number - it's clearly stamped on the BB shell PARIS 1045 - can anyone help with date?
The pedals have an H and B in the cutout of the cages, can anyone identify these?
General question - 3 small rings brazed on the back of the seat stays, 2 on the drive side, one on the other; what were they for?

Re:

Hi, piccies help, but the rings on the stays are mudguard/saddle bag fittings, if the serial number is 1045, it makes it an early Paris, and the pedals may be Hobbs ( lytaloy ). A classic TDF can be found at http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... paris.html. I hope this helps, a rare bicycle ( pedals especially ), and worth any time or effort, my 1948 one is one of my favourites. Terry

Thanks Terry, I will take and post pictures later (I should be working now!!).
Mine differs from the picture you linked to in having what I believe are Stallard dropouts, do you know if that is significant?
Those loops - that's what I originally thought, but why 2 on one side and one on the other?
Time and effort are currently being put in a box in preparation...

Re:

Hi, the odd one is, I believe, for a rear light, and the dropouts are probably Paris not Stallard, Paris did do there own dropouts, similar to a Claud Butler dropout of the period. There is a superb book available on Paris/Rensch published by the VCC by Alvin Smith, it has everything you need to know. Terry

Re:

Hi, Most Paris frames had a brash colour scheme, so it does follow, my Paris was ordered with Flam Blue and Flam Red, it is black now, but one day I'll return it to the original colour. I'll dig out my copy of the Paris book this evening, and get you some further info. The dropouts are for an Osgear arrangement, and again points to early Paris ( 1946/7 ), not sure about the fork, as all the Paris's TDF's of that era I've seen, have the twin plate arrangement. Terry

Re:

Hi, I have had a quick look through the book, and it looks like one of these ones that will be difficult to give an exact year, as it looks like a wartime build or just post WW2. The dropout is a Paris one, and produced between 1937 and 1947, so that confirms it. The headset looks like a lytaloy ( hobbs ) one, which goes with the pedals ( lytaloy components are very desirable ), the crank is a standard hercules one I'm afraid. It is an early pattern lug, Alvin has it down as a 'prototype' bilaminate, so a lovely frame, rare. I can pass the link for your photos to Alvin, and if you an email address, PM it to me and I'll pass that on.

Terry - thanks for the time and effort, I have joined the Paris FB group and posted there, so hope to get some more information. I posted the photo link as well. I will PM you as you suggested, ta again!
If it is a prototype at least in parts maybe that goes some way to explaining the fork? Or that might just be a replacement.
My slight and probably ungrateful disappointment about the painting is not about the colour scheme and detailing, which I do like, the handpainted 'Paris' and 'P' for me, are so much less impressive/satisfying than the correct logo and Eiffel Tower badge.
I'm hoping the various components are removable without damage for cleaning up as they do look to be rather nice, also the Mafac brakes which seem to be in very good nick with strong springs and surprisingly smooth movement. The BB is seized, how badly I don't yet know.

Big Block - thanks for those links, I had found most of them, but the FB group was a new direction; I have joined and asked the questions.

Latest posts

Back