Eroica Britannia Moving to Friden Grange for 2017

Robbied196

Senior Retro Guru
Has anyone else got the 'New Location' email?

I know it quite well around there. First thought is that its going to create some interesting traffic queues :shock:

I wonder if Bakewell said..... 'NO'

Robbied196":mwevac5j said:
I wonder if Bakewell said..... 'NO'
I doubt it, it was a good draw for the town and well received......perhaps someone is trying to increase profit margins?

Re:

3x simultaneous posts about this. I tweeted them asking why and got this response:

@SantaHul a new adventure for us! The Trail running through the Festival and the changes it will bring to the Ride is very exciting

I'm not excited...

Re:

In my experience (of other events, principally Motorsport); an event which is well-received and a good draw for the area is nearly ubiquitously hated by local residents and mishandled by the local area government(s) who have no idea how to handle the traffic, influx of people and (most importantly!) directly profit from said event.

The usual method is to impose a direct fee on the event organisation or refuse to issue permits, allow planning, etc. The events, having existed often very well on a community-organisation basis don't actually make money as such, so cannot afford such a fee.. It's well-known L'Eroica Britannia is not profitable.

Given the self-exclusive nature of many of the 'local' residents in the area, pressure to NOT have events like this in their 'lovely little town' I wouldn't think the influence of them should be underestimated. There have been noise and litter and pollution and inconvenience complaints for all of the past 3 years from 'local Bakewell residents'.
It doesn't take a lot for these to take precedence if the town council (pressured by residents) lobbies the District council (backing the organisers) to put restrictions in place which make hosting the event untenable.
People who live in quiet little villages, particularly those inhabited by a large proportion of millionaires, HATE the great unwashed being anywhere near them, even for a few days a year.

Re:

I was wondering about that which was why I asked them.

I can't speak for Bakewell but I have a lot of family in Eyam and they loved it.

I think Osella has hit the nail on the head.

At the first event, if memory serves me right, I was told Bakewell Showground had the event booked for 5 years. The first one all felt very positive and was a great success. There did feel a very different vibe at this years event, both on and off the field.

The traffic situation must drive anyone who lives there crazy over the weekend. Possibly its become to big for the town, hence the move to fields in the middle of nowhere. I can't say I fancy that in 2017 :cry:

Re: Re:

Ossela, without wishing to pick a fight, I think you are not entirely correct. Bakewell locals are quite used to being inundated every weekend; many thousands of 'the great unwashed' from out of town flock to the area - it's not far from Derby, Sheffield, Manchester, Chesterfield.....etc, essentially the town is built on tourism. Sure, they still run the cattle and livestock market, but that in itself is a tourist attraction. Also, L'Eroica does not drag as many visitors into the town compared with the Bakewell show in August.

As regards to the locals residents, have a look through here: http://www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/image ... Agenda.pdf
This district council document shows that not only did the local council support the event, but it cost them money. I live near Bakewell, and I'm not sure I've heard anyone complain about L'Eroica, even the 'large proportion of millionaires' (I think you'll find the really rich people live outside of the town)

Re:

And":63on7r5d said:
Ossela, without wishing to pick a fight, I think you are not entirely correct. Bakewell locals are quite used to being inundated every weekend; many thousands of 'the great unwashed' from out of town flock to the area - it's not far from Derby, Sheffield, Manchester, Chesterfield.....etc, essentially the town is built on tourism. Sure, they still run the cattle and livestock market, but that in itself is a tourist attraction. Also, L'Eroica does not drag as many visitors into the town compared with the Bakewell show in August.

As regards to the locals residents, have a look through here: http://www.derbyshiredales.gov.uk/image ... Agenda.pdf
This district council document shows that not only did the local council support the event, but it cost them money. I live near Bakewell, and I'm not sure I've heard anyone complain about L'Eroica, even the 'large proportion of millionaires' (I think you'll find the really rich people live outside of the town)

No fight at all- and I agree with much of what you say. The town survives on tourism, but the town & its businesses are not perhaps holding as much sway as the more..wealthy area residents.
The point about the Bakewell show is a good example; it's not new, and it brings a different sort of demographic perhaps, to a very different event. I'd be willing to bet that there is more noise too from the Bakewell show, but that it did not receive as many complaints..

The point about the District council is well-understood, I didn't use the term subsidised but effectively that's what it is - that's what I mean by 'supported' not only ideologically, but financially.
However when you look through the 2014 & 2015 reviews of the event by the District council, they have specifically referred to the complaints about noise, litter, traffic etc; which is where my comment was drawn from.
There are the really rich both within & without the town; and I suspect that those with the time to, who do not directly profit from such events, might be those making the biggest noise (if you'll pardon the pun) about the event and the traffic disruption. It does seem the Festival rather than the ride/meeting provoked the majority of the complaints. This is commonly seen with similar events where noise complaints are the primary driver.
For events like this, there is very little 'pro'. All it takes are a few determined individuals to make complaints and things happen. There is no for/against vote, it's simply that things happen until people complain, as soon as enough complaints are received, things no longer happen; that's simply the way the UK (and US!) local government charters are set up, in the main. The Council(s) must broker the compromise, if possible.

As you say, if you have not heard from many people near Bakewell complaining; who else is left outside your circle of contracts who may have complained? If your circle is entirely comprised of the eminently wealthy then I can happily retract my suspicions. If not; then there is still a lingering doubt.
Changes for the next year(s) may well provide pointers based on the DC's next few meetings/minutes and assessments.
Given the choice of change or die however; perhaps the current change is the best compromise, whoever decided upon it.

Robbied196":1co68hcb said:
The traffic situation must drive anyone who lives there crazy over the weekend. Possibly its become to big for the town, hence the move to fields in the middle of nowhere. I can't say I fancy that in 2017 :cry:
if you think Eroica is bad for traffic in Bakewell, I dare you to go on a bank holiday Monday when the market is on. Coming from Sheffield, you start queueing at Baslow

Robbied196":gbood8pm said:
At the first event, if memory serves me right, I was told Bakewell Showground had the event booked for 5 years. The first one all felt very positive and was a great success. There did feel a very different vibe at this years event, both on and off the field.
the first one had that glorious day of sunshine and was free admission so the whole thing was a different prospect

Back