Advice needed pls!! Peugeot Pemiere

santilondon

Retro Newbie
Hi, I need a bike to commute (5km) in London, mainly through Hyde Park, so no big deal. Came across this Peugeot for like £130.. is this crazy? It is supposed to be in good conditions.

http://imgur.com/a/0DFNF

22''frame 10 speed Sharp brakes

Do you recognize the exact model? year? Would it be hard to get parts and to fix if anything goes wrong?

I just really like how it looks but don't want to get it if it's going to end up being a pain!

Thanks very much

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    139.6 KB · Views: 478
It looks pretty tidy (and quite pretty), it's a bit more than I'd be prepared to pay for a fairly basic model of bike but then pugs do command a bit of a premium (plus London prices :roll: ).
They're easy to get bits for (though some have bits that are "French" threaded - still not a problem just need to be aware of the possibilities!)

Edit: check it's the right size for you, that looks a bit small for a 22"

Re:

For that money I would try and find a Reynolds 501 framed Ventoux. I paid £30 back in 2009, I guess prices have moved since then! Love the look of the lug less frame, the only thing is the helicomatic rear hub as it will be hard to find parts if you need to. Apart from that it all threads ect are normal. So in sort buy a Peugeot you will not regret it, but look at the 80's and 90's catalogues on line and try to find the best spec you can for you £130.

I agree, though you don't just have to look for a Ventoux, Raleigh made loads of models with more or less the same 501 frame. Look for Sirocco, Elan, Pro Race, Kelloggs etc. etc.These are nice, light, sporty machines, and you if you keep looking for a coupla weeks, one's bound to turn up. Like this: Raleigh Record Sprint http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Recor ... SwubRXLvba all it needs is a coupla tyres and some brake cables and it's ready to go; owner's up for an offer too.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
It has suicide levers ..... step away from the bike!

Just joking, Carlton Pro am would be a good choice :)

Shaun

Re:

I ride a pug prem on my daily commute. Nice light bike but I did upgrade wheels and tyres. I just picked up a Raleigh elan 501 today with no rust for £40 so they are out there. Suicide shifters are for the brave nowadays! Enjoy anyway

Back