Tips/advice: Just bought a 1947 Raleigh Lenton Sports

SantaHul

Retro Guru
Not been on here since somebody "borrowed" my Claud Butler.

Finally back in the game and just got myself this rusty 1947 Raleigh Lenton Sports which I want to have fixed up in time for Eroica Britannia in the summer. Other than being in bad shape it looks largely original, even has a copy of the original receipt. Only modification I suspect is the front mudguard as it looks like it was bodged slightly to fit but since it's rusted beyond repair anyway it doesn't matter.

DSC01802_zpshuqu28im.jpg

My main concern is the frame, any suggestions what to do with it? The paint looks past saving and most of the decals are gone. Tbh I can't even tell what colour it used to be. Some parts look like it's black with a green primer and some look green with a black primer. Possibly even it's been repainted at some point but I'd like to hear what you guys think.

I don't want to spend too much money on the respray so I was thinking either powdercoat or spray cans. I appreciate that spray cans finishes aren't overly durable but the bike won't be leading a hard life so I'm not too concerned about that, the main issue is I'm not sure I'd have the time to do it. Alternatively I could get it powdercoated but then I'm worried about the final coat being too thick, I had a Raleigh Twenty done at Armourtex and I wasn't that happy with the finish, it just looked like they'd rushed it.

Besides that is there any other tips people can give me? I've done restos before but not on anything this far gone. Few more pics below.

This fork leg is completely black all the way down:
DSC01818_zpsvxh0ng7r.jpg

But this fork leg has big blotches of green on it:
DSC01815_zpsuhlkyb7y.jpg

Quite a mix of black and green:
DSC01817_zpspbzgrzkg.jpg

Finally, any idea what it would have been here? Can barely make out the letters:
DSC01819_zpsldvda96y.jpg

Link to full album: http://s5.photobucket.com/user/SantaHul ... n%20Sports

Re:

I would get it fine media blasted to get rust and paint off, £20. Either enamel, powder coat or paint. Transfers available from H Lloyd. Nice project! Black or dark green. There's powder coaters and some that know what they are doing I guess.

Simon

That's an interesting picture. From what I understand the Clubman and Sports were two different models but maybe I'm getting mixed up. On the seat tube it clearly says "Lenton Sports" and I've seen others that say "Lenton Clubman" instead but I wonder if that's a later thing. You'd expect it to mention something in the brochure and I was thinking the first letter of that branding on the top tube (bottom picture) looked like a "C".

The V-CC catalogue was described as the 1947-48, so it may have come out after your bike was sold to its original owner. So you may have the 1946-47 version.
The link I gave might be worth reading through to try to establish where your bike sits. He makes reference to the bike pictured in the catalogue as
The new Lenton Clubman as depicted in the 1947-48 Raleigh catalogue is not actually the Clubman at all but rather its shortlived (1946-47) predecessor, the Lenton Sports as it has the older pre-war Golden Arrow style chainring and the distinctive "flash" downtube transfer of the Sports model. Both it and the new Clubman had the same polychromatic green with darker green head tube.

What date is on the SA hub?

Can I ask a really silly question...... Why is the lamp bracket on the left hand fork? Are the pictures from the US market?

Thanks

Shaun

Absolute jackpot there Big Block. I think mine is the green one in the first set of photos which it describes as built 46-47 and has the same decals as mine as well as the same green. Think I'll message the writer, see if he has any photos from the other side.

Midlife: maybe the US was the bigger market at the time. According to that website the forks were a brand new design and my UK bike has the bracket on the left too.

Back