LOOK Cleats + PP75 Pedals?

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Hiya, the cleats you linked to are Keo cleats which are not compatible with those pedals. You need Delta cleats for the older style pedals and I'm fairly sure that it's the cleat that dictates the float not the pedal per se. That is the black cleat will not float, the red cleat will float.

Having said that though, I seem to remember when I started using Look pedals circa 1989 the PP96 was the design that allowed float via the red cleat but the lower spec models, PP76 and lower, were black cleat only. The back plate design is different, I think the brochures are in the relevant section on here. So I'm wondering if the PP75 was ever intended to allow float at all.

Martin.

Re:

Thanks for all that information! :D

The PP75 was not intended to float at all. The first pedal
that I can recall with that capability was the Time pedal
which had float in the heel and laterally across the pedal
surface.

So, if there is such a thing as a red LOOK Delta cleat,
in theory I should be able to use that with the PP75 or
was the back plate totally different on subsequent models?

Hiya, you can still get Look Delta red cleats, such as these although I suspect the word 'compatible' is code for 'non-genuine'.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Pair-Red-LO ... xy-W9SO8AZ

I've had a look at all my old pedals and compared to newer models (PP56, PP76, PP226) and to be honest can't see a massive difference in the back plate design so I reckon you will get float with the red cleat on the PP75, just not as much as pedals designated 'ARC'. It looks like you get 29degs of float with red cleats on non ARC pedals and 32 degs of float with red cleats in ARC pedals. The PP96 was the first ARC designated pedal I think so you should get 29 degs of float with the PP75...complicated this isn't it???

M

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

:LOL:

Thanks for your investigations! Yes, it's rather complicated and I don't understand that the official bumph says "9 degrees with red cleats", "7 degrees with black" etc. You say that it's actually a lot more than that?

The whole idea of me trying LOOK again is that I found myself a pair of NOS Brancale Dynamic shoes (a la Greg LeMond 1986 :cool: ) but when I use the Time shoeplate adaptors, I can't get the balls of my feet far enough forward to sit over the pedal axle, rather they are slightly behind the axle and I feel like I'm riding a shopping bike! :?
I could probably have a go at altering the adaptor plates, but if the LOOK system would give me some degree of movement, then I'd probably just go for that instead.
I can't believe that I recently missed out on a near perfect pair of PP75 pedals on ebay - for sale in this country too!

:facepalm:

Re:

Decathlon do the delta cleats, at least they do here. EBay should have some too. If you can't find any let me know and I can get you some

Re:

some clarification as I use Look Deltas

Look deltas are different to look keos - they are not compatible

When look first introduced their pedal, Keo hadn't been invented, it was just Delta and black cleat (non-float) only. The red cleat came later to prevent users moving to Time, who made a big thing about needing float.

I have used both black and red and prefer black, fixed, non-float cleats. Both colours fit any Delta pedal.

Buy original look Deltas, not copies. look copies do not engage/disengage as well and seem to wear out faster.

Decathlon have Red float look deltas in their stores - Ive seen them in the Sheffield store for less than a tenner.

Re: Re:

pigman":1ani02lp said:
I have used both black and red and prefer black, fixed, non-float cleats. Both colours fit any Delta pedal.

Buy original look Deltas, not copies. look copies do not engage/disengage as well and seem to wear out faster..

Thanks for the information - that's exactly what I need to know!

I'm going for these cleats and will keep my eyes peeled for a nice pair of PP75 pedals. Patience is a virtue, I know . . . :|

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160802651229? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for everyone's help here - you're a fantastic bunch!

:D

Back