Decal replacement options ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

So ... the new project.

When it arrived they looked like this:

************************/images/montello/blue/berlin/downtube.jpg

I did toy with the idea of preserving them on the "it is only original once" ticket; but quite frankly they looked pap and if you touched them more fell off ...

So after a few sessions of very careful picking I have pretty much removed them all.

************************/images/montello/blue/decals/Pinarello-Montello.jpg

I have not got really picky around the edges as you can see.

What has become apparent is that the decals must have been applied BITD and then the whole lot clear coated.

Now the decals have flaked off they have taken a layer of clear coat with them ... this leaves a "stroke"around each letter ...

If you run your fingers over them you can feel each letter is slightly recessed below the level of the lacquer on the tubes.

This creates a problem; I wish to retain the lovely cromovelato finish on the tubes ... unless I can get a decal that is going to exactly line up with those that have been removed it isn't going to look right.

Actually it looks quite nice as it is ...

So now the options are:

1) Get some decals made to match
2) leave it as is
3) Get the decals painted in ...

I have contacted a tradition sign writer (bloke who still uses a brush) about option 3 ...

PANZR":303kowhw said:
Sign writer

That would be very cool

That is the way I am leaning and I am making enquirers ... any one got any recommendations?

Trouble is if they **** it up I wont be able to rewind ...

Montello":202it142 said:
PANZR":202it142 said:
Sign writer

That would be very cool

That is the way I am leaning and I am making enquirers ... any one got any recommendations?

Trouble is if they f**k it up I wont be able to rewind ...

Probably fine unless Cecilia Gimenez is your signwriter :D

If you take the frame to a decent graphics firm they should be able to scan and copy them exactly or you could always contact Pinarello for details of the font type and size and then past the info on to the graphics firm. To sign write it will be harder than you think even for a master sign writer as the letters can not be done in one stroke.

I think that frame deserves the best. I'm not sure you will get the best result off a signwriter, no matter how good they are there will be brush strokes. If you are pretty good with graphics software I'd do it like this. Or, get someone else to do it like this ;)

If there's a slight ridge on the edge of the remaining decal, get some lightweight paper and a very soft pencil. Tape the paper over the remaining decals and see if you can get a brass rubbing effect off it. Hopefully, you can, that rubbing can be scanned into a computer (Mac in my case :)) You can then redraw the decals in a vector program like Illustrator, you can even make them a hairline thicker to be sure they cover the old decals. If you don't fancy doing the vector drawing a sign making company should be able to do all of these processes for you. A small amount of warm soapy water will stop the vinyl grabbing the frame and help positioning.

Once you have the vector file you have a couple of options. You could get them cut on a digital plotter in a thin white vinyl, something like Metamark is a good vinyl. You then remove the waste vinyl from around the letters and the letter centres like in the 'A'.
Stick a wide masking tape, or application tape over each decal. This keeps all the letters in place when you remove the backing off the vinyl. You can then position, rub down and finally peel away the masking tape leaving the vinyl letters on the frame. To be really accurate you could stick the letters individually.

The second option is broadly the same but you cut a paint mask for a more permanant decal. Most sign makers will use paintmask as its similar to vinyl and can be cut on a digital plotter. Some pics may explain better than I am!! :)

This is the paint mask. In this case you peel away where you want the paint, so its like a negative of the decal.
24543871112_de1502f545.jpg

Its applied to the frame.
24356724750_3383d9a48e.jpg

The application tape is removed leaving the paint mask on the frame
24024346894_4e49a7ba6c.jpg

Mask the rest of the frame and paint
24024124014_b02d585053.jpg

Whens it dry the paintmask is removed
24652479815_bb2ca20009.jpg

Thanks for the comments.

I did try to take a rubbing before I removed the decals; it wasn't very good.

I will have another go now I have removed them as I now have a better edge. I will also steal a crayon off my nephew.

Still working through the options and seeking out expert signwriters.

Have found a guy who has done bikes in the past ... will go an meet him and look at his work.

Thing that scares me about the sign writer is if I am not happy with the work I am stuck with it ...

Re: Re:

Robbied196":1qtk648k said:
If you stand over the signwriter, you can make him wipe it off if you're not happy :)

That is my current thinking .... I think it would be a cool solution to have them painted.

Back