How do I remove a 'difficult' freewheel?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I have a six speed Shimano freewheel on a Mavic 501 hub, and the two are so fond of one another they really don't want to be parted.

I have the right tool, in a vice and have doused the junction of the hub and freewheel in WD40, GT85 and several other oils that have done the trick in the past, but despite using all my strength on the rim, I have, so far, only managed two tiny little hints of movement.

You're collective wisdom would be much appreciated.

You have probably done this already but if not use an old skewer to lock the removal tool to the hub. Stops it jumping out and wrecking the slots in the freewheel. At the risk of getting my head bitten off you are sure you are turning it the right way.It is just that two small movements would suggest that it is being tightened on rather than removed. Once you get any movement at all it should just wind straight off. The qr can cause it to bind so it needs slackening a bit once it gets moving
Peter

half cog":1enzgwia said:
You have probably done this already but if not use an old skewer to lock the removal tool to the hub. Stops it jumping out and wrecking the slots in the freewheel. At the risk of getting my head bitten off you are sure you are turning it the right way.It is just that two small movements would suggest that it is being tightened on rather than removed. Once you get any movement at all it should just wind straight off. The qr can cause it to bind so it needs slackening a bit once it gets moving
Peter

Because of the depth of the tool, there is very little danger of the wheel slipping off, but I have used that technique before.

I agree, a little movement usually indicates tightening, but in this case it is pretty easy to make sure I am OK, as the freewheel will naturally tighten itself in use, so going in the opposite direction should loosen things off.

half cog":1hfg6hdw said:
At the risk of getting my head bitten off you are sure you are turning it the right way.
Peter

My suggestion too :LOL:

Shimano website will have detailed files ;) OK well im guessing there :LOL:

Are you planning to reuse the freewheel? If not then you could remove the cogs / pawls and grip the body with the vice.

Shaun

I was thinking more of removing the cover plate :)

SunTour-freewheel20150716_103904.jpg

Shaun

Re:

I had a go at that earlier Shaun, and it was not keen to move. I was going to give it a try with a different pin spanner.

I'm assuming that the cover plate has a right hand thread.

My son is off work tomorrow, so I may get him to give me a hand, as per cce's suggestion.

Back