How do I remove a 'difficult' freewheel?

the front cover plate is a left hand thread, freewheel removal is a standard thread

destructive removal is fun, but I reckon it just needs a bit more welly.

Re:

I know this sounds counter intuitive but seeing as it has moved slightly give it a sharp twist anti-clockwise (tightening) then remove as normal, used to do this in the bike shop worked more often than not ;)

"On Basildon Bond stationary?" Still?

Worth reading Sheldon Brown for inspiration:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/freewheels.html#remove

Besides "the usual [so far unsuccessful for you] technique for removing a freewheel from its hub - to clamp the freewheel puller into a solidly-mounted vise (sic) and unscrew the wheel from the freewheel" he suggests:

"An alternate approach . . . for really obstinate freewheels: to use a suitable box wrench to hold the tool, and strike the wrench handle sharply with a big rubber mallet."

Soak the whole thing in white Vinegar for 3-4 days then give it a go.

If not

Then I would stick it in a vice & introduce heat (cutting torch) to the freewheel body as all cogs should be removed along with pawls & bearings. Its a last resort but it will work.

Re:

If there is any doubt about which way to loosen when its upside down in a vice (anticlockwise) there is always the jam jar trick ;)

Turn a jam jar upside down and twist the jar from the lid. You'd be amazed how many people get it wrong.

My thoughts exactly.It is very easy to get the orientation wrong when you are turning a wheel over to remove the wheel from the block and not the other way around.
Peter

Back