Hobbs bike

Simbo7

Retro Newbie
Hi, just joined and would like to show my Hobbs. My Dad passed it on to me and his friend sold it to him in the 70's. The serial number is partially worn away but I think it's A3748 from 1953. Any more info would be great, the badge says 'special model' but I can't find anything about that model.
It does have a mix of old and new components on it, sorry if that's not the done thing but it does get used.

Re:

Nice looking frame! Just tried looking on the V-CC and can't find anything on there. If no luck here try Flickr if there is a group? Worth restoring but riding as is great!

Simon

It would be awesome to see that frame all kitted out with original components but it's any ones guess to what the original spec looked like but it's still great to see it being used :cool: ..

The badge. Yours has been painted over, and looks like it has lost it glass enamel infills: clean off the paint and you'll see it is a delicate brass badge - quite rare on a HoB. I have two HoB both have the badge intact (I can post a pic), and I have a spare. The badge, if complete, is one of the most attractive found on any bike.

Jon.

N.B edited.

Thanks for the comments, I do love this frame. It rides great and weighs 10.5 kg with lights and pump etc.

roadking":3m4q2hoe said:
The badge. Yours has been painted over, and looks like it has lost it glass enamel infills: clean off the paint and you'll see it is a delicate brass badge - quite rare on a HoB. I have two HoB both have the badge intact (I can post a pic), and I have a spare. The badge, if complete, is one of the most attractive found on any bike.

I'm sure your frame is a Raceweight, it would be easy to re-build it in period.

Jon.

I'd love to see some pics of other Hobbs' that would be great.

Great frame and colour, needs to be build up with more period correct components.

Simbo7":fvkdu8ot said:
I'd love to see some pics of other Hobbs' that would be great.

Classic Lightweights:
page on Hobbs
a number in the Readers Bikes

the Hobbs of Barbican facebook page
a few downloads from V-CC on Hobbs, and there are many relevant component catalogues once you have narrowed your desired component list. I am a member of the V-CC and that gives me access to other material.

Peter's 1947 project on LFGSS
Mike's 1946 bike on Flickr
Bruce Robbins 1948
a 1946 now in USA
Roger's 1952 Hobbs Blue Riband which is nearing completion so images should be available soon. The back story is valuable.

and my 1946 Raceweight

as for parts, I'd suggest you look at the Readers bikes for 1952/53 on the Classic Lightweights site, then download the excellent Component Database prepared by Hugo and do a filter for the years you are after. HOWEVER as some of the bikes have non period correct components, I would check to see if they are in the 1952 Brown Brothers Catalogue, also generously scanned by Hugo.

and then start collecting!
If you have any questions then ask away. That way I get to learn as well from the answers provided.

I hope these resources inspire you to bring it back to how it would have been in its day.
Philip,
Adelaide, Australia

Re:

Thanks Philip, there's some fantastic info there. Don't know why but I feel even more proud of my old Hobbs now. I know it has new components as well as old , but just running a classic 62 year old frame along side modern bikes puts a big smile on my face. :D I've got nothing against moderm bikes, in fact some look pretty cool, all I'm saying is they may not have had carbon fibre etc back in the day, but they knew what they were doing and they were doing it with style!

Back