Help identifying Ken Bird/Raleigh

Gandulf

Retro Newbie
Hi All
I recently was asked to clear a deceased relatives garage and came across this rather neglected bike hidden under sheets. It has Ken Bird decals on it but a Raleigh Badge on the steerer tube. I've done some research and can't find anything that suggests Ken Bird made frames for Raleigh or Raleigh did a Ken Bird model . I can't find a serial number on it. To be honest the frame doesn't look like a Bird frame particularly the seat tube and stays. It is 5 speed with a Huret rear mech that has completely round jockey wheels - no teeth. I'm thinking its a Raleigh frame that has had the decals added for some reason?? Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1224.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG
    219.4 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 542
Welcome :)

Looks like a Raleigh Arena off the top of my head, the Ken Bird decals have been put on for decoration.

I'm afraid unless it has sentimental value its not worth much at all.

Shaun

Re:

Thanks Shaun

I've just looked at an Arena and it's certainly similar, but the frame has no cable lugs or the pump brackets. The cables are held on with clips and the shifter clamps on as well. It doesn't have sentimental value. I am thinking about converting it to a single speed and was going to respray it and try and get the right decals.

Thanks

There is such an eclectic collection of bits on it I'm a little lost ..... Are you sure thee is no number on it? Raleigh were pretty ruthless on numbers.

Shsun

Re:

Thanks chaps

There is definitely no serial number, I've checked the seat tube, the BB and the drop outs. The wheels are 26 x 1 1/4. They are obviously chromed steel and were very rusty. I cleaned some of the rust off last night and found that there is Sturmey Archer stamped into the rim - so I assume it has been converted to a five speed. There is a Huret shifter, Weinmann calipers and levers. I guess it is just a cobbling together of parts???

Re:

Update! - there is a serial number. Wasn't apparent until I took the paint off - top of the seat tube. 3208158 apparently makes it 1972

1972 2800001-3800000

Looked at 72 - Clubman??? Had Sturmey Archer hub and was the same blue. Also found this 125year anniversary model out now - might be good to do the same colours??

Attachments

• Raleigh Clubman.jpg
    Raleigh Clubman.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 468
  • 125 years - Clubman.jpg
    125 years - Clubman.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 468
Back