Removing a Mavic BB

fleshtuxedo

Retro Guru
Hi, I have a stubborn Mavic BB I'm trying to remove. My 5 tooth lockring spanner wont fit over the taller than normal lockrings so I'm a bit undecided what to try next. It's got lockrings each side so I'm assuming it's a 610 or 612 threadless unit, in an Italian threaded steel frame.

Can anyone advise? I've had a bit of a go with a one tooth lockring tool as well, but don't want to wreck the lockrings.

Re:

This should be your friend

better use it according to the "screwing" rotation - so that the bottom tooth edge "push" the lockring slot inside edge

Thanks bduc might get one of those. Alternatively, contemplating adapting my Tacx lockring spanner to make it fit, should only need a very slight increase to the radius of the bits between the teeth.

Fear not mdvineng, I did have one of these BITD so I know how it works (mine kept coming loose but then I never chamfered the bb shell).

I'm not a Yorkshireman, but I have lived here for a decade, so I took the cheap road and adapted my Tacx lockring spanner with some judicious Dremel/file action and hey presto! The molested tool fitted snugly onto the lockring and made short work of powering through 30-odd years of alloy/alloy interface. The BB and frame have gone their separate ways, and all is well in the world.

Thanks again.

Back