Super narrow (47mm) rear canti bosses - what brakes?

ElCani

Devout Dirtbag
Hi. I've got an old road frame that has super-narrow canti bosses on the seatstays, spaced about 47mm apart centre-to-centre. I think they must be non-original, because the frame has been repainted (to a very high standard) and also has vertical dropouts that don't look original (OLN 126mm). I'm not sure why someone would add bosses to what appears an unsuitable frame but now that they have I'd like to use them (if possible), because the bike will look odd with a caliper brake and unused bosses.

So... are there any brakes that will work? I'd be grateful to hear from anyone who has experience of fitting cantis to such narrow bosses.

Thanks. :)

I think you'd need to use old school wide-arm cantis to get any worthwhile leverage

Thanks for your reply. Any ideas for what types to search for? Old cantis are not something I know much about. :)

Hi.
Cantis in photo are the old shimano xt2 if I remember right.Have a look at Dia compe Gran Compe GC999. just used them on the tandem as my xt2s had worn out. In my case it is the front forks that are narrow. The comps have better adjustment than the XTs
Regards
Peter

I am fairly sure 47mm is what I have got. looks like your frame was designed for cantis as there is no hole for a calliper.Standard design for a touring frame.From experience I can tell you that mini vs wont fit it.You wont have much excess room with the dia comps but as said they should do the job o.k.Seem good brakes as well.

That photo is not of my frame (which does have a caliper hole). I measured the distance between the bosses on a Dawes Galaxy of a (probably) similar age and they were 67mm. Mine appears to be a 'racing' frame that has had the bosses added before a repaint. I'll take some photos and post later on.
Thanks. :)

Re:

Sounds to me like a cyclocross frame which would be much more race orientated narrower stays and tighter angles ;)

Back