Which Columbus SLX frame would you buy?

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
I'm just messing with the idea of getting myself a frameset in Columbus SLX.

I have a Concorde in Aelle R and I like the way that rides, I also have a Basso in SL and I like that better, so were I to go off looking for an SLX frame, where should I start?

Merckx Corsa? Concorde Aquilla or (if one could be found) Squadra? Basso Lotto?

This may turn into a cock fight, but I'm interested to hear peoples opinions, because as we all know, there is more to a good ride than a good tubeset.

Merckx Corsa Extra. Without a doubt one of my favourite riding frames. Not the lightest but rides as solidly as my old tourer. I guess this has as much to do with the geometry as anything but personally, it's one of the few frames I'll always ride the long way home on.

I love my Merckx Corsa Extra, its a really lovely ride.
I haven't spent too much time on other SLX's, the odd ride here and there but thats about it. I've had other frames come and go and while I have owned mine since new and am attached to it, its the ride that always keeps it at the top. I sold my TSX Sqaudra as I still just went for the Merckx all the time.

Jamie

Re:

I have to say I thought this would be a more lively thread, but thus far all the votes are with Mr Merckx.

None of you Colnago cuddlers want to throw tuppence in the pond?

Re:

I have to agree with Jamie. I've owned and ridden many bikes that on first impression feel exciting and super responsive, only to find out over time that it doesn't instill a confidence to chuck it hard into a fast downhill corner or it just plain tires you out trying so hard to grab your attention.
I liken it to decent hi-fi - there are plenty of components that on a quick demo sound bright, fast and clear but you couldn't live with such artificiality over the long term.
As with all things lugged and steel, the skill of the builder has a lot to do with it too. I'm sure there are plenty of average/poorly built slx frames out there as much as there are 531 et al.

Re:

Thanks Omega, that is just the sort of input I am looking for.

My Basso, in SL, is a little on the heavy side, but it (in horse racing terms) it travels extremely well and gives me total confidence in the corners. Same with my bestist summer bike Rourke, made of 853, my first time down the Cheddar Gorge on it I left a car and a small motorcycle behind!

So, Merckx Corsa Extra would seem to be the place to start my search, and from what I have seen, the further I stay away from team colours, the more sensible the prices get.

To add, :) at Christmas I sold my Colnago Master Olympic, art deco, Gilco tubing. Eddy is still sitting here about to go for a ride along the coast once this fog lifts.
On a more serious note I must say one of the most noticably lovely frames I have ridden was the Concorde Squadra in TSX that I owned. It was different from the Merckx and I'm not sure I can even describe it adequately but it was a truly enjoyable bike to ride. It was more than likely the overall setup with the C Record etc and thats different from my Merckx, but I think even if it had microshift on it it would still have been a very classy ride.

Jamie

Colnago didn't go for standard SLX much, he preferred to gain stiffness over SL by using crimped/shaped tubes. So the Master used the Columbus Gilco tube set, and even the more obscure Conic SLX, which used SLX, ended up with crimped tubes.

606":2j2vk0ac said:
Colnago didn't go for standard SLX much, he preferred to gain stiffness over SL by using crimped/shaped tubes. So the Master used the Columbus Gilco tube set, and even the more obscure Conic SLX, which used SLX, ended up with crimped tubes.
Interesting, as when I searched eBay just using SLX I got quite a few hits on Colnago which surprised me, as although I know almost nothing about the marque I was pretty sure they were made of more exotic stuff.

Jamie, I am a Concorde fan and would like an Aquilla or better still a Squadra (in any material), but I've not seen an Aquilla in my size recently and Squarda are few, far between and almost always expensive.

I'm in no rush, although I did just put a Team Stuttgart Corsa Extra in my watch box. :mrgreen:

56 c to c top tube, just in case, erm, you know... at the back of the garage... anyone?

Re:

When reading the OP's intro, my first thought was Merckx.

I think the bigger frames may have shorter than normal top tubes, but I stand to be corrected on that.
Also, as a medium sized rider the difference may be negligible. Worth asking the seller though.
Old team colours look great IMO, Stuttgart/Weinmann etc , or even the newer Telekom if you like a bit of pink. Let's face it, who doesn't! :LOL: :LOL:

Mike

Back