Mavic 840 with Athena 11

Cooker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all, I've asked this question before, but with the advent of the new/latest Athena 11 shifters I'll ask again to verify.

I have a Mavic 840 rear much, that I want to use with the latest 2015 Athena 11s shifters.
What rear Shimano cassette would I have to run (8,9,10?), and how should I route the rear much cable - standard routing, HUBBUB, or the alternate way in the Mavic 840 setup instructions (I think is the same then HUBBUB).

I found this website, but its a bit old info and its not clear on the questions I want answered.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/cyclists-library/ ... s/shimergo

Any help would be great.
Thanks

Cooker, I think you're the only person in the world trying to do this!

One of the many problems you will have is that the top derailler pulley has no float so the indexing has to be absolutely bang on.

I'm all for mixing and matching stuff, i do it myself, but I think you might be on a road to nowhere with this one.

Re:

I am planning on doing a full MAVIC build on a NOS frame I've got, but seeing as Mavic never made brifters, I was going to use the latest Athena ones which will be keeping the European flavour and also they look retroish.

Does anyone know how much cable the latest Athena 11 shifter pulls per shift? Where theres a will theres a way. Surely its possible. Just need to figure out cable pull amounts etc and gear spacing.

Only other alternative is to run an older Campag brifter, maybe a Chorus 10s because it is still alloy??
Apparently an 8sp Shimano cassette works well in this case. I still am unsure about the derailleur cable routing though??

Re:

I have used 8 speed shifters with a variety of rear mechs, none of which were intended to be used in this way. A bit of wear in the system can help.
The newer the shifter the more fussy it generally is. 8 speed Ergos are pretty tolerant and more in keeping with older Euro mechs

Back