853 Weight?

Re:

7.78g/cm3 :D

1.5kgs for a 56 without forks?

Warning:
My degree is in art not maths :D

Re:

The only problem with chroming is the need to polish the really thin tubes first. What are they, about .4mm in the middle of a tube?

Re:

i have had previous 753 frames chromed without issue. some frame builders
would do it back in the day and as far as i can remember, most didn't guarantee it.

Re:

I was told by a master frame builder not to chrome my 753 frame apart from being very thin wall the chemicals can induce internal rust.

Re:

I recently built a frame out of Reynolds 853. The weight depends on which tubes are chosen and how they are joined and how much paint is applied. It is now built into a bike and I did not weigh the finished frame on its own because I was not that that bothered. It felt light enough for a steel frame.

Reynolds list about 80 different 853 tubes (different profiles and thicknesses). I think that this is a much greater range than was available for 753. 853 is similar in strength to 753 so it would be possible to make a frame of 853 that weighed the same as one of 753 by using tubes of the same thickness. With 80 different tubes available it is difficult to come up with a typical weight for an 853 frame, some are much thicker than others for the same external profile. Joining the tubes adds weight, welding being the lightest with lugs and fillet brazing being heavier depending on the amount of material used.

Chrome plating is supposed to cause something called hydrogen embrittlement, which I don't understand but do not like the sound of. Reynolds make three grades of stainless steel bicycle tubes, 953, 931 and 921. A better option, rather than chrome plating, is in my opinion to use stainless tubes. You could for example use 921 chain stays and fork blades with an 853 frame, with stainless steel dropouts and possibly stainless lugs. This avoids the extra weight of a layer of chrome or a layer of paint. 953 is about twice the price of 853 but 921 is similar in price to 853 so could be substituted in an 853 frame without increasing the price too much.

Re:

thanks for that detailed information. i had no idea that 853 was more than just a simple tube set!!

so, you can join 853 tube with traditional sized lugs ie cinelli cast?

and 953 - i've never heard of it. lighter yet? but twice the price??! :shock:

Re:

853 works very well with lugs and that is what I used to make a slightly retro frame. See

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=304730#p2280334

The advantage of 853 over 753 is that the strength does not degrade at higher temperatures so heating the tubes when brazing is less critical and (within limits) heat makes the tube stronger.

853 works well fillet brazed. See the Dave Yates frame I posted a couple of years ago.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=215762

TIG welding is the least attractive way of joining the tubes in my opinion although it is strong and light. Some builders weld the tubes then braze a fillet over the weld. The fillet can be smaller and lighter as the strength is in the weld but the join appears smoothly blended.

You are not wrong to have thought of Reynolds as producing tube sets. In the Reynolds website it says

"For many years the only tubes available to the frame builder were the standard "road" and "touring" sets. Now with so many different frames being built (road, touring, Audax, BMX, freestyle etc) Reynolds no longer sell in standard sets. For each material we provide the frame builder with a list of all the tubes available. From this they will pick the tubes most suitable for the application and the rider."

http://reynoldstechnology.biz/

Back