Shimano old and new compatibility

Andy69

Dirt Disciple
The rear mech is worn out on my Mercian, so I'm replacing the with an early indexed Shimano 105, the rd-1050 from my stash for the summer.
Is it compatible with the newer HG50 chain?
Might be a daft question, but I'm not sure. Things have moved on since the late 80s, so thought I'd ask here for anyone who knows.
Many thanks :)

Yes you can get away with a 9speed but why would you?? they cost more and will wear your cassette and chainrings out at a much faster rate

Andy69":3dobi4f7 said:
The rear mech is worn out on my Mercian, so I'm replacing the with an early indexed Shimano 105, the rd-1050 from my stash for the summer.
Is it compatible with the newer HG50 chain?
Might be a daft question, but I'm not sure. Things have moved on since the late 80s, so thought I'd ask here for anyone who knows.
Many thanks :)

Should be fine. I use a Shimano 8sp cassette with a first-generation indexed 600 rear mech (an eBay find which didn't cost a bomb - circa 1986 IIRC) and Campag Xenon 10sp levers for a "Shimergo" set-up. All works very nicely.

David

carlrh":ifbmdqc6 said:
Yes you can get away with a 9speed but why would you?? they cost more and will wear your cassette and chainrings out at a much faster rate

Told you 'they' will get upset. In practice there is very little if any problems or extra wear. Especially chainrings - where do you get that idea from?

I'm with LGF. The inside dimensions of 7/8 and 9 speed chains are the same. On a 9 the outer plates and rivet heads are slimmer.

Thanks guys. I'm not in a position financially to throw loads at the bike at the moment, but have a Sportive coming up which I'm going to ride it in and just want it reliable for that and for training. Keeping it on the road is priority and I love that early 105 indexed mech; this will really help.
Cheers:)

Back