Downtube shifters

Bats

Senior Retro Guru
Upgrading to indexed gears since the smallest cog on my helicomatic setup has finally died. My downtube shifters are of the brazed on kind - does anyone know if these are standardized, or am I going to run into bother by trying to put shimano ones on? The standard shifters are black plastic suntour.

That's all the question was - are the mounting bosses standard.

I was only asking because I'd heard someone on here talking about it as if campag and shimano did them differently. So I wanted to check.

Glad to know it's not a problem.

I would just upgrade to GS200/RSX/105 rear der/shifters (indexed) 7spd cassette with new chain, new rear wheel. Should run very smoothly if adjusted well.

That's the plan. Although it's more like "what's the cheapest wheel, freewheel and shifter". Already got a modern shimano rear mech kicking about.

The embuggerance of doing up a RRS is trying to find a cheap black wheel that isn't some "hybrid" monstrosity for 45c tyres. Silver just wouldn't look right.

Never spotted them searching. Good find.

Already got a front wheel that matches so I think I'm going to just buy a decathlon cassette wheel and desticker that instead. Save a bit of money and have the change to upgrade to 9 or 10 speed in the future, when 7 speed cassettes get rare.

hamster":36hoh3ey said:
Not quite sure I understand the question, but the shifter mounting bosses are standard.

EDIT.................DELETED

SORRY

i missed the point you needed index levers............ :facepalm:

Back