Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Good evening all ,

I'd like to pick your brains tonight if I may . I've been replacing the alloy spoke nipples in my Bontrager race light wheels for some traditional ones . Brass I think they are. The reason for doing this is because when I try to true them up they start to chew up . I am using the righr size spoke key. The problem I have is that some are mangled so bad , there is no purchase on them at all , even trying to use pliers doesn't work . Thankfully the end of the nipple is above the end of the spoke so I can use a screwdriver on them . But can't turn it even so . For now ive sprayed with wd40 hoping to release them enough to get them out . Does anyone have any tips for this situation ? Thanks , Mike .

Carnt think of anything more bar maby small mole grips. Let them soak put wheel on somthing soft and get a good tight screw driver and push down hard while twisting back an forth maby. Once they turn should come off

Re:

Back in the 1950s there were three things we could do.

1, With a light hammer tap the spoke key higher up so that it made fresh flats.

2, Always grip the spoke firmly as near to the spoke key as possible.

3, Clamp the long shears in the vice and chop the spokes at the top cross, 2 at a time.

If 3 then make sure any cogs are removable.

I used to pay just over £1 for a gross of stainless butted spokes.

Keith

Re:

Thanks for help so far . There are actually bits of the nipples missing on some , while others are showing signs of splitting . Seems to be very sof t alloy . I know theyre called race light , but at what cost . Can someone remind me of Keith bontragers motto again ?

Mike

Our lad likes his BMX's and spent a small fortune on anodised alloy nipples
and his wheels looked the biz' but when the time came to have his wheel
trued, the nipple just rounded off! So he re-newed the nipples yet again :roll:

Re:

That's what I hope to do , if I can get these buggers out . Are proper ones brass ?

Mike

Re:

The back wheel was ok . It's the radial bladed spoked front that's not having it
Will soak my nips overnight :shock: :LOL:
Mike

plenty of lube and give them a good twisting, it might be sore work but they will come off, lol

Latest posts

Back