How do you measure wheels to see what tyre size they are

negaultra7

The Number Of The Beast
Hi there
Can anybody tell me how to measure the wheels on the below bike?
They are Fiamme red tubeless rims on Campagnolo Grand Sport hubs, I would of thought they would be 27" but need to make sure before I buy some tyres...

rrr053.jpg

rrr055.jpg

....also remember when buying (especially if online) that you need tubulars not 700c tyres!
cheers
Griff

negaultra7":3rcvxpon said:
They are Fiamme red tubeless rims on Campagnolo Grand Sport hubs,
Massive difference between tubeless and tubular. Might be worth checking your definitions in future. As you need completely different tyres for tubeless and tubular!

mattr":3ohxitoc said:
negaultra7":3ohxitoc said:
They are Fiamme red tubeless rims on Campagnolo Grand Sport hubs,
Massive difference between tubeless and tubular. Might be worth checking your definitions in future. As you need completely different tyres for tubeless and tubular!

Please can you explain to me the difference? what do i need to look for?

negaultra7":2huj9s8o said:
Please can you explain to me the difference? what do i need to look for?
Tubeless tend to look like a conventional clincher rim, but with extra ribs in the rim bed to allow the tubeless tyre bead to lock to the rim. They have a specially shaped bead to match up to the ribs.

Tubular have a smooth semicircular profile so you can glue the tubular tyre to the rim.

negaultra7":2huj9s8o said:
Can somebody please send me some links to the type of tyres i will need to go on the wheel?
Two things. 1) What is your budget, tubulars start at around £15 and go up to over £150. 2) How confident are you of gluing the tyre to the rim, then hurtling down a hill at 100kph and relying on that glue job......... Especially seeing as it sounds like you've never done it before!

Re:

not as complex as it seems. Tubeless is a modern thing ( with the possible exception of some weird and ancient kit) Still rare on road bikes.
Your have very shallow curved indent round the rim. Often known as sprint rims which take tubular tyres.
Tubular has the inner tubes encased in the tyre. Usually called "tubs" . They need gluing on .
You need to research that a bit here.

Re: Re:

negaultra7":12xiieh0 said:
Can somebody please send me some links to the type of tyres i will need to go on the wheel?
there's a link on here for riding on tubs << viewtopic.php?f=12&t=257564 >> there's no magic to sticking them on and riding them and that rather nice machine that you have deserves to be shod with them!

Griff

Back