Shimano front disc hub as a fixed rear hub

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I know its not retro but its such a clever idea it just seems too good to be true :roll: anyone heard any horrible stories about people using this setup ? catastrophic failures ?

I got talking to someone using it yesterday and he'd bought the custom polished hub and I must say it looked really nice :shock:

Jones":1g2jf0c6 said:
I know its not retro but its such a clever idea it just seems too good to be true :roll: anyone heard any horrible stories about people using this setup ? catastrophic failures ?
I was thinking about this a few years ago, and got as far as replacing the axle, spacing the hub out, and drilling the sprocket, but somehow never got around to building up the wheel. Enough track wheels already, and not enough space.

I can't see any reason for catastrophic failure. Peak braking loads on the front wheel are already bigger than than rider can deliver through the drive train, so the hub should be designed for strength enough, and those XT hubs were generally thought to be overbuilt. They're certainly not light.

My one hesitation was that the bearings are smaller than typical for a rear hub - I think 3/16" or 7/32" vs 1/4" - but they're also spaced wider than in many traditional freewheel hubs (and there are more of them) so they're likely to last. The seals are also much better than in most trad hubs.

With the hub polished up, the look is even somewhat retro - a nod to the big, slotted flanges of classic track hubs.

If I were in the market for a new fixed hub for road use, I would probably try this system.

Back