Double to Triple

benseddon

Old School Hero
Hi,

I was out on a ride this morning one of my usual routes that involves a mile long 14% hill. It was the first time I've ridden this route on my falcon road bike.In the past when I've ridden it on my mtb it's not been an issue but today it was a real struggle. I started wishing that my falcon majorca had a triple and I'm just wondering, is it possible to put a triple chainset on a 1980's road bike and what complications could arise?

Before anyone says 'owt, it's just question. I plan to deal with it by manning the f@#k up and changing to a higher gear :twisted:

You will need a longer cage rear mech to take up the slack and a deeper cage front mech, plus a new BB in most cases to match the triple. If you have non-indexed shifters they will work no problem.

An alternative would be to change your chainrings and/or freewheel. I've recently fitted a 13-32 six speed freewheel to my Fox, which has a 40/52 chainset. That gives me a 34" first gear and a 108" top gear. The medium cage Suntour Vx rear derailleur seems to be coping fine with that, although it would probably be happier with a long cage.

i have been made custodian of this,from yorkshire,the old boy has upgraded brakes ,levers and crankset ,now 8 x 3 with ten speed derallier as he had lots of hills,

with its history i dont think i will restore too much ,and its a lovely smooth /fast ride :D

Attachments

• 1xo0.jpg
    1xo0.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 245
Putting on a triple just gives you a lot of duplicate gear ratio's IMHO......I'd look into the smaller chain ring, bigger rear cog as suggested :)

Shaun

How is an extra 8 lower gears duplicating .if you just change the front rings for smaller you will lpsw top range .then again you may as well get a decent mtb and put sllicks and racing bars on it :)

I think i know what you mean shaun. On paper you gain 8 gears but in reality it's more like 3 to 5 extra gears yes?

I've often found on my mtb that lot of the middle cogs at the rear feel similar when switching between the 2 smallest front rings. I guess this would be the same on a triple road bike?

Changing to a smaller front ring and bigger rear cog could be an option in the future.

Advice much appreciated folks.

Love that Carlton :D

Had a friend who fitted a triple to his Gazelle to 'help him' get up hills better
but he found after ten minutes of fast twiddling he was knackered so went up
a ring and got out the saddle instead, he never used the tiny ring again.

I guess i just need time to adjust to the different gearing that my road bike has.

Going out tomorrow and gonna that 14% gradient again. Let's see if i fare any better

I might try and put a triple on my next project as it's a heavy old beast. We'll see

Latest posts

Back