Rust removal protection & paint touch ups

GoldSpanner

Dirt Disciple
I've realised now that refinishing this frame would be both a waste of time and money - it was always going to be a beater.

Anyways, I wanna get rid of a few little bits of surface rust, and probably treat the inside of the tubes somehow as well, before going over the exposed steel to stop any further rusting.

Can anyone suggest anything for this? I guess I would have to prime the exposed bits before painting?
The frame is black, so presumably I could just buy something for touching up car paint - not even particularly bothered if it isn't a perfect match, but shouldn't be hard to get close.

Cheers

Alex

It really depends on how bad the rust areas are how one would fix the situation. Minor surface rust can easily be sanded off using progressively finer grain until the surface is smooth enough that when you paint there will not be a seem. On a dry still, day paint the sanded areas with a nice hard spray paint like epoxy. A primer is not required as you say this will be a beater, but you could primer and then sand again before applying the final coat. Black is good because there will be no issues with matching the color.

As for the inside here is a god product, though I not sure about UK availability

http://www.jensonusa.com/!CHINy0X3QZ60a ... erosol-Can

Don't laugh but nail polish its good for small chips although its not a good look hanging around the displays in boots trying to find your colour :)

Robbied196":2u1l980h said:
Don't laugh but nail polish its good for small chips although its not a good look hanging around the displays in boots trying to find your colour :)

I say go for it since it is for a good cause.

BTW I have also used nail polish

Steven

I've got two girls and I am a regular to the Boots nail polish section on our visits to London.

I'm also a regular at Clares, if anyone wants to put in an order and are too afraid to venture inside.

I have no shame.

I once had the "fashion assistant" advise on which shade best matched my red Carlton... She didn't seem to mind ferrying pots outside to check against the frame and I got a perfect match colour wise!

Latest posts

Back