Does anyone know anything about this frame?

Markgee

Devout Dirtbag
Hi,

I picked up a frame this week that I am going to build up to run to work and back on but it has intrigued me! I have done some google searches looking for the brand logo "Cotswold" but it has thrown up nothing, the bike has a Campag 26.4 seatpost and nice leather saddle. I presume its a cheapo frame but I wouldn't expect to see these parts on it. It also has a random "Harry" sticker on the seat tube and a Sakae headset and BB. Below are some pictures and if anyone can throw any light on this, I would be very interested to learn a bit more about it...

Many thanks
Mark

Ok, so I guy I work with had a look at the frame and thinks its a Harry Quinn frame. He notices the Cotswold stickers seemed much newer than the "Harry" sticker and pulled off the headtube sticker and this was underneath...

It doesn't look like a HQ headtube sticker to me and the serial number in the BB isn't a HQ number. I read on a page I found through Google, in the 80's that some cheapo Japanese frames were sold under the HQ name? (Might explain the Sakae BB and Tange headset!).

I am really interested to find out a bit more about this frame so if you can help give me a shout!

Markgee":3cuk9fjs said:
It doesn't look like a HQ headtube sticker to me and the serial number in the BB isn't a HQ number. I read on a page I found through Google, in the 80's that some cheapo Japanese frames were sold under the HQ name? (Might explain the Sakae BB and Tange headset!).

I am really interested to find out a bit more about this frame so if you can help give me a shout!

I don't think its a Harry Quinn. As far as I know all Quinns had a decal for the headbadge but your tube looks to have been drilled for a rivet fitted headbadge. Not a lot of help but I think it rules out Harry Quinn.

Ernie Clements bought Harry out at one point and imported cheapo frames which he rebranded as Harry Quinns. He owned the company so he held the rights to use Harry's name. These frame don't have the 'Q' prefix to the frame number. I think these later frames still used a decal for the headbadge though.

Thanks for the info. I have a feeling this might end up remaining a mystery! Any ideas on tubing or age? It has a dynamo mount and the seatpost size is 26.4.

Over the BB cable guides for the mechs (i thnink), non-recessed brakes but top tube cable guides for the rear brake.........I'd guess late 70's as any later and the brakes tend to be recessed. Is the front mech a braze on ?

Where is the dynamo mount?

Shaun

Thanks Shaun, thats good info. The front mech would be a clamp on and the dynamo mount is on the right hand fork.

Thanks again
Mark

From the little I can see your RH fork blade has a lamp bracket boss, very common on quality frames in the 1950/60's, but later likely on lesser or touring bikes.

I think the later is more likely! Oh yeah it has a sticker on the BB to say it was sold by Rohan Cycles, not sure if that helps?

Back