Dating my Holdsworth

Zapster

Dirt Disciple
Hi, I have a Holdsworth and I am wondering if anyone can help date it, as I have seen quite a bit of conflicting information.
I think the best way to narrow it down is by the reynolds sticker.
2eee834.jpg

Here is what is left of the head badge.
2rfy6ol.jpg

9zlurk.jpg

The frame number is 034917
The frame has Campag rear dropouts and Gipiemme front lugs.
If any more info is needed, please ask.

Well that site proved to be a great resource.
Puts my bike as a 1981-83 Elan.
The only oddity is the forks, they are the originals as the steerer tube has the same number as the frame stamped on, but there is no mention anywhere of Holdsworth using Gipiemme lugs on this model at all.

The bike has been well used and has over the years had the worn out parts replaced with non standard parts (shimano brakes, rear mech etc) with only the stem, handlebars and front mech being original. At some point it has had a rattle can thrown at it, which makes it look real messy, but the overall condition of the frame and forks is very good.

My thoughts are either to go with a complete restoration or sell on the frame/forks and parts to maybe fund another, less ambitious project.

The only thing I worry about is selling the frame onto a fixie builder that will remove all the braze ons and butcher it. Maybe if I restore the frame and forks with a nice original colour and a new set of decals, this would put off the fixie chaps and lure in someone that wants to restore the old chap.

Back