I think I need a narrower spindle...

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
I recently bought a mixed 8 speed groupset: Record Titanium levers, Chorus calipers, Chorus front mech and Athena rear: it came off one bike, so I assume it all worked together.

However, the front mech only just shifts onto "the big dog" with the adjuster screwed right out (ie not limiting its movement at all): it will not physically move further out.

When in first, second and (to a lesser extent) third there is a distinct clicking from the rear mech caused by the chain clicking onto the lower jockey wheel: it initially arrives there at too much of an angle to sit correctly.

It seems clear to my idiot self that the chainline is out and I need to bring the crankset inboard. What concerns me is that I have only swapped from early-90s Campag to mid-90s Campag and can't understand why it doesn't work: am I missing something obvious?

How big a gap have you got between the inner ring on the chainset and the rear stay, and between the end of the crank and the chainstay? Are the crank end -- chainstay gaps the same on both drive and non-drive sides?

nammonk":2fum4r9u said:
How big a gap have you got between the inner ring on the chainset and the rear stay , and between the end of the crank and the chainstay? Are the crank end -- chainstay gaps the same on both drive and non-drive sides?

Not easy to get good measurements: the arms on my Verniers aren't long enough.

As far as it goes, twixt inner ring and chainstay is just shy of 14mm.

Crank - chainstay seems even at around 17mm.[/b]

I don't think you mentioned which cranks and bottom bracket you're using, but it sounds as though your spindle may well be too long.

From the mid nineties, Record and Chorus cranks require a 102mm (ISO taper) bottom bracket. All other models used 111mm.

It does sound like the spindle is too long; I'd expect significantly tighter clearances than that (doesn't prove anything about chainline on its own). Jim's proposed explanation sounds plausible.
Nick

It a Chorus double from 1990 I think: the date code is 62 in a square.

The bottom bracket is unbranded and came with the bike, which dates from 1991 or thereabouts.

I'll whip the spindle out and measure it later.

If I remember correctly, one side was slightly longer than the other and I put that on the drive side: this was right wasn't it?

Many thanks for your help so far.

I reckon 14mm is far to much. It should only be around 3 - 4mm average? Sounds like you do need a 'proper' BB. Try and get a cartridge one of the correct length, so much easier to work with.

If you can post a photo of the crankset you are using someone will be able to definitely identify the model and recommend the correct axle length for it. I would have thought that compatible cartridge BB's should still be available.

Right I've measured the spindle and it is 120mm.

The camera on my phone is lousy but it is definitely 1st generation Chorus.

According to Velobase I need a 111mm BB. I feel a bit of a prat for not looking there in the first place: apologies for taking up your time and many thanks for your advice.

Jim.

Well, today has been as frustrating as it has been an education.

I spoke to my preferred mechanic and although he initially thought he had a 112mm spindle, in the end I had to settle for a 113mm threadless cartridge.

Threadless, because I was told by another LBS (since gone out of business) that I had an English 68mm bottom bracket shell but the drive side had an Italian thread (presumably recut after being stripped).

I took the BB home but realised that I didn't have anything to get the drive side cup out: 8-sided and 36mm across.

Back to the mech. who whipped it out and put the cartridge BB in, but it wouldn't do up because it's a 70mm shell! In other words I have a "normal", Italian BB and not the Anglo-Italian Franken-bracket I had been told I had...

Given the choice I'd stick with the loose bearing type, as all I actually need is a 111mm spindle but they aren't readily available. So I have a choice of a Campag Veloce or Tifosi carbon shell: any comments before I take the plunge?

As I said on the Wanted thread, I've found the Tifosi good so far (but haven't ridden it for long enough to comment on longevity). I had a Mirage some years ago (looks like the current Veloce) and didn't think much of it. The Record sealed bracket of the same time was much better and is still going strong (but much more expensive). Given that they sell at the same price, and one of them has the "Campagnolo" premium on it, my hunch would be that the bearings are better in the Tifosi... If you're going to have to buy a new tool as well, then the Tifosi is the same fitting as the better Camapg ones, whereas the Veloce seems to be specific just for that BB (as far as I can tell).

I do have a Chorus cup and cone 111 Italian. But you can't have it (sorry).

Nick

Latest posts

Back