Used alloy Srint Rims

malcolmw

Retro Newbie
Have just acquired a pair of sprint wheels its been many years since I used tubular tyres, the rims have been used so should I clean off any old glue which is no longer tacky, if yes what is the best way to clean them ?

I use something like a screwdriver to chip it off. You don't need to get the rim spotless, just remove any lumps and loose bits.

Fit your tyres dry onto the rims and leave inflated for a few days. Take them off and refit a couple of times to get them to stretch a bit. Scrape/dig out as much old dried up and powdery cement from the rim as you can, especially the big lumps etc. and then wire brush to leave a basically flat, clean(ish) and dry surface. Apply a coat of your favourite rim cement (if you can still get it, mine is/was Dunlop!) to rim and let it dry (overnight is good). Apply another thin coat to rim and tyre base tape and let go tacky and then fit tyre. Inflate a bit to get shape and centre the tread, roll wheel on floor with a bit of pressure to try and get contact all round and then inflate. Clean any excess cement from the side of the rim and tyre with a bit of solvent. Mind you, if you've stretched the tyre properly first and been careful this shouldn't be necessary. In theory.

Or use tub tape and follow instructions - but you still need to clean etc. the rim first.

I never got on with tub tape, always imagined the tyre rolling off in a corner....... :(

Good write up :)

Shaun

I still have some Dunlop in a usable state in a tin I was given last year. I remember many years ago trying some of the Clement red stuff - and hating it! It dried rock solid and had no sticky left if a tub had to be removed or changed.

Mind you, the continentals wouldn't use anything else!

Blimey I'd forgotten about that red tub glue.....favourite of the track lads and an absolute nightmare as they would bring the wheels in to have tubs changed.

Shaun

Midlife":35o67gxa said:
I never got on with tub tape, always imagined the tyre rolling off in a corner....... :(
Good write up :)
Shaun

Ditto about the right up.

About the 'tub tape'

I remember tub tape coming on the market.
I remember rushing out to buy a few rolls.
I remember using the stuff. I thought great no mess.
I remember my rear tub rolling off my rear wheel on a tight bend.
I remember looking at my bike seeing the ripped Turbo saddle and my ripped benotto tape.

I remember throwing away that horrible grey stuff :evil:

Oh what it is like to remember how i ruined my best bike :oops:

As I said Shaun, I used to use the Conti cement (tin of it rather than a tube, mind) and found it to work well. I also used tape and never rolled a tub (but saw others roll them, having glued them on). Either done properly will hold up OK, although I think I'd stick to glue on the track. If tape was so dodgy, I doubt they'd still be selling it... Easier to clean the rims afterwards :)
Nick

^^ Ian, I hadn't seen your reply when I wrote mine. I was not suggesting you hadn't put it on properly... Hope it didn't come across that way. Must have been a duff batch...
Nick

Back