help identify this fork

diditte911

Dirt Disciple
I recently acquired a 1995 custom-built Panasonic bike that use to belong to a Japanese rider from the Cheblo-Artnature Japan domestic team. Altho the frame came with the usual distinctive Panasonic lugs including the socket-type chromed rear dropouts the fork does not bear anything I've seen from Panasonic.

For example, the fork tips are 3Rensho socket type with the Super End Japan pantographing but the fork crown leaves me clueless since it doesn't resemble anything Ive seen from 3Rensho.

Previous collector says the Japanese rider wanted straight forks similar to a Colnago Olympic-Decor-Tecnos hence bike came that way but I doubt he also had the fork built by Panasonic since Panasonic have their own fork tips and crowns.

Here are the pics:
front.jpg

rear.jpg

side.jpg

tips.jpg

BTW just a follow up... does this mean its a sanRensho fork?

the only marks I see aside from the fork tips is the one on the steerer tube that says "C95".

I don't know whether he sold his frameparts to other builders, but it being built by 3Rensho sounds like one very plausible conclusion.

diditte911":3f1si299 said:

the only marks I see aside from the fork tips is the one on the steerer tube that says "C95".
C95 is the seamless tubing mark,you can buy rensho lugs and crowns but not readily available in Europe.They are nice quality parts

AndyPA":2cmze5b7 said:
diditte911":2cmze5b7 said:

C95 is the seamless tubing mark,you can buy rensho lugs and crowns but not readily available in Europe.They are nice quality parts

Well the whole bike was shipped from Japan. didnt rensho (konno) build his bikes using ishiwata seamless CrMo?... so seamless tubes, rensho lugs and rensho NCR crown, maybe its a rensho or maybe not but a custom-built by a local builder (masahiko makino comes to mind) for the previous Jap owner using rensho fork parts... I guess I won't know for sure eh?

thanks

Why did you think it is a Panasonic initially?

Do you have pics of full bike?

Elev12k":3btdyhcw said:
Why did you think it is a Panasonic initially?

Do you have pics of full bike?

Coz its a Panasonic (at least the frame) right down to the decals. It features the distinctive Panasonic head tube lugs and seat lugs, top tube, seat tube and down tube are oversized 28.6mm consistent w/ the Panasonic PR bikes (ie. Panasonic Sportlife), BB has serial number and Panasonic name embossed, rear dropouts are socket type pantographed panasonic. Bike also had the Jap rider name on the top tube as well as the team name. The colors are also consistent with the team Cherry Blossom-Artnature colors. Here are pics:

IMG_0708.jpg

Panasonic20custom.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

detail20of20stickers.jpg

http://www.toj.co.jp/toj2/team/cheblo.html

Very nice. It is like Ed's frame, but smaller. You can view Ed's bike in the rBOTY election topic.

Here a PR-6000 that went through eBay a couple weeks ago >>

speed_001.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1993-PANASONIC- ... 53ea587c2f

Can you confirm your frame is built using Tange Prestige? Would think so for this team example.

I had a PR-6000 frame only in my hands last week. They are very light frames. You are familar with the Panasonic Virtual Bicycle Museum?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back