Stripping paint

extinct

Retro Newbie
So I recently bought an old frame with the intention of restoring it. First job: stripping off the paint.

I bought some thick paint stripper, focus' own brand version of nitromors, thinking I'd save a few quid, and started getting to work.

A previous owner had decided they wanted a change of colour and just decided to paint right over the top of the old coat, so there's a good few layers. The paint stripper only managed to get rid of this top coat.

Any tips?

The aim is to get back to bare metal and work from there.

Cheers

To be honest, I wouldn't bother!

I had an old frame and had grand plans for 'doing it up' which started with me stripping the paint with wire wool and paint stripper. It worked to an extent, but after many hours of frustration and disappointment, the frame ended up back in the garage, as I seemed to be making no progress.
I ended up getting it shot blasted and painted at a local engineering firm for £30! and the quality is fantastic, and all I had to do was deliver and collect it.
Since then the rebuild has moved at a pace and I am about to finish it this weekend. If I had been using the paint stripper, I would still be on the forks!

So save yourself the hassle and just enjoy putting it all back together!

extinct":2jijigr4 said:
So I recently bought an old frame with the intention of restoring it. First job: stripping off the paint.

I bought some thick paint stripper, focus' own brand version of nitromors, thinking I'd save a few quid, and started getting to work.

A previous owner had decided they wanted a change of colour and just decided to paint right over the top of the old coat, so there's a good few layers. The paint stripper only managed to get rid of this top coat.

Any tips?

The aim is to get back to bare metal and work from there.

Cheers

The original paint may well be powder-coat rather than actual paint, and far more difficult to budge as a result - Nitromors-type stuff won't even look at it.
+1 for the suggestion of a professional strip and paint, they should be able to get any old finish off.

David

Yeah I'd heard about this possibility, I guess I'm looking for powder coaters then! Thanks for the advice.

A question on powder coating. I heard that you can only get one colour. Any truth to that? I'd quite like a two tone tubing-lugs contrast...

extinct":2aqiv70k said:
A question on powder coating. I heard that you can only get one colour. Any truth to that? I'd quite like a two tone tubing-lugs contrast...

Yup, as a rule one colour only. I asked my local coating place about this; they said that they can do multiple colours but the way they behave during the heat-curing process is unpredictable - you don't get nice well-defined fade or contrast effects etc. like you do with spray paint.

David

extinct":5fni10ca said:

why not get it powder coated then paint the lugs free hand. job done

stubbsy :D

I recently stripped a 531 frame back to the bare metal, after going at it with wire-wool and so on, I ended up using a wire-brush cup attachment on my drill, worked a treat :)

I'd agree with a single colour powdercoat + paint touches, but there are some very good metallics and flakes etc available. See Tiger Coatings..
They're Austrian/US, but have a UK distributor, if you can find a willing coater. It's not all black and filing cabinet beige.

I've yet to find any UK powder coaters able, or even prepared to look at, fades and masking, but it is possible;

bp688.jpg

Be amazed at Spectrum Powderworks in the States.

If only they were nearer...Might even be worth the shipping.

Latest posts

Back