Geometry Question.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
What are the differences between a cross bike and a touring bike? Is it just eyelets for mudguards and that sort of thing, or are there more fundamental differences in geometry etc?

I have just had my first ever double puncture due to the road surface. I had to walk best part of a mile in bare feet (damn Time cleats) before the wife reached me with the car (the Shame).

I am thinking of having a do-it-all bike built in perhaps titanium? A touring/cross set up with slightly tighter clearances than normal running a 25 road tyre would seem the ideal starting point.

What do you think?

In comparison to a regular road frame, a cross frame has generally a slightly higher BB for clearance whereas a touring frame will be slightly lower for stability. My cross bike has a BB drop of 60mm whereas a road / touring frame will be 65-70mm - doesn't appear to be much but noticeable the first time you ride it. Steering geometry for cross and touring bikes tend to be slightly more slack in comparison to a race frame too e.g. 71-72 degrees to give better low speed handling. If going custom, best option is to copy the geometry of a proven design or take advise of an experienced builder. If you have a good eye for detail, you can order custom titanium frames from XACD in China for about $600 - my custom ti cross is still going strong after 6 years.

Back