Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:30 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 pm 
rider | rBoTM Winner
rider | rBoTM Winner

1st page updated with Doug’s latest prediction table.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:03 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi there , no it was not in stock and i remember having to wait quite a while for it as it was a special order 24” frame.
Nearly bought an orange Holdsworth that was in stock !
Seems like yesterday but now 43 yrs ago.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 pm 
Old School Hero

Nick,

Thanks that's helpful. So is it safe to assume must have been a few weeks/month after Easter that you received it???

Don't often get a frame with original purchase history at a defining point in serial system. Hence the "dog with a bone approach".

Like wise re memory and years. Back in 1973 I corresponded from Canada with a fellow by name of Robert Badger (Robert's Rebuilds) of Crouch End, London re building a touring bike from a Holdsworth frame to my specs. I believe I arrived in London in late May or June to pick up bike - don't remember exactly. Spent 3 months touring England and Europe. This was a big event in my life and only reason I remember year at all is because it was last summer I was free before I spent the next 41 years working!

Doug

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 am 
Dirt Disciple

Hi Doug you are right it could have been early May before i finally received it.i remember the weather was better in London so immediately started to cycle to school with it and how proud i was.
Yes time flies for us all , am now 57 and working for a large IT firm just outside Munich in Germany still enjoying my bikes and and am completing a restauration on an Etype Jaguar so plenty of things to keep me busy.

Was in Canada west coast last year and enjoyed Bannf ,Whistler and finally Vancover i felt it was like home a touch of old English charm.
Would like to go back sometime for another look.
Enjoying the summer at present .

Nick Jones

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:57 pm 
Old School Hero

Nick

I've been back to Cornwall, Scotland, NW Ireland and Italy bike touring since the big trip as a youth. Love spending time over that way. Partner's son lives in Kiel, Germany and we hope to get over, maybe combine with a bike tour while still can.

The revised prediction, based on your new data, would have your frame being built (stamped) around late March '76. This is an estimate as hard to know the actual build date. Frame could have lay in factory stock or perhaps was a freshly built frame at time of order. Any thoughts?

Thanks for info,
Doug Allen