Claud Butler-Holdsworth frame numbers 1959-1976

Kman":2ohsy8fe said:
Regarding the headbadge, would it of been the olympic ring version?

Yes, the Holdsworth version (Yellow ring top left as you look at it) Plenty out there incorrectly described as "original 50's badge" you can also get a very good reproduction from H Lloyd cycles; https://h-lloyd-cycles.myshopify.com/co ... t-transfer

Yes to Peachy's response re metal badge for Cordon Bleu.

Lesser and early models (as Challenge) in 1959 I've seen have Claud signature badge transfer (Holdsworthy style) on head tube which is same as would have been used on seat tube. This signature style badge had London address and did not have white bit at bottom like original Claud version. Wasn't until 1963 that olympics rings seat tube badge came out.

There is a good description of transfers on Cordon Bleu 1959 catalogue.

Re:

Hi experts,

Firstly I hope that this post ends up including the image that I have been trying to upload. If not then sorry.
I bought this old frame from a bike junk shop, but it had no decals or other identifying features.
It has a serial number stamped under the BB which is 69242, which suggest that it might be a 1975 Claud Butler, as per the frame number chart on this thread.

However the frame has wrap over seat stays and a rear brake cable bridge, which do not appear to be consistent with CB's.
The lugs I think are Nervex.
The frame number is stamped one number on top of the other, as opposed to side by side: I don't know if that makes a difference?
There are no other identifying marks that I can find elsewhere on the frame.
The stamped number matches one on the forks too.

Can anyone out there tell me if it is a CB, and if so what model CB?

I want to have it restored and want to ensure it is detailed correctly.

Apologies for the current paint job. Home made and probably done when I had eaten too many cakes; sugar rush.

Thanks for reading.

Kinch

Attachments

• DSC06869 2.jpg
    DSC06869 2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 839
I remember my order being a special order 23,5 -24 inch frame which took several weeks to finally arrive . Partly an Easter present finally arrived May 1976.

Re: Re:

Kinch10":2p3kiqa8 said:
Hi experts,

Firstly I hope that this post ends up including the image that I have been trying to upload. If not then sorry.
I bought this old frame from a bike junk shop, but it had no decals or other identifying features.
It has a serial number stamped under the BB which is 69242, which suggest that it might be a 1975 Claud Butler, as per the frame number chart on this thread.

However the frame has wrap over seat stays and a rear brake cable bridge, which do not appear to be consistent with CB's.
The lugs I think are Nervex.
The frame number is stamped one number on top of the other, as opposed to side by side: I don't know if that makes a difference?
There are no other identifying marks that I can find elsewhere on the frame.
The stamped number matches one on the forks too.

Can anyone out there tell me if it is a CB, and if so what model CB?

I want to have it restored and want to ensure it is detailed correctly.

Apologies for the current paint job. Home made and probably done when I had eaten too many cakes; sugar rush.

Thanks for reading.

Kinch

Looks like a late model (1969) Top of the range Cordon Bleu. Not from the 70’s. any chance of some close-up clear photos of the number, the one stamped into the fork tube is usually clearest.

Re:

Close up of number stamped on fork and also seat stays.

Kinch

Attachments

• Stays 1.JPG
    Stays 1.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 829
  • Fork 1.JPG
    Fork 1.JPG
    41 KB · Views: 829
Kinch10
One of builders that used vertically stacked numbers on BB (if that is what you are describing) was Reg Collard of WFHoldsworth, Putney Shop. If so 69242 would suggests c.1970. Features suggest a custom build. How about a pic of BB numbers!

Re:

Genius. I knew someone out there would have a clue. It had always seemed to me that it may have been a bespoke build of some kind.
I will try to post a picture of the BB frame number.

Thanks for your knowledge. Much appreciated.

Attachments

• Frame number.JPG
    Frame number.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 808
Good call Doug

I think that pic of vertically stacked numbers cinches it. Frame #69242 must be a c.1970 Putney shop "Holdsworth" and built by Reg Collard.

The Putney shop at that time had it's own numbering system. From 1965 the first two digits identified year of build. For some reason from year 1969 until ~1973 custom builds by Reg Collard and later Tommy Quick persisted with the prefix 69. (Tommy Quick appears to have placed his numbers along edge of BB and not vertically stacked as Collard.) With an average of 140 shop builds per year this would place #69242 as c.1970. See dwscrimshaw's Holdsworth/CB prediction.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... TNKZkN4TmM
and
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=362572

On nkilgariff.com there are a couple of pages from the 1967 WF Holdsworth, shop catalogue. Besides the usual models with Italian style lugs, Nervex lugs were available on request. See first line of attached:

Attachments

• CoverRear67shop.jpg
    CoverRear67shop.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 798
Back