Rudge Ulster Sports bicycle, how old and what to do with it?

Seems I don't know my history as the red hand was used as a trade mark long before the motorcycle racing success in 1929 oops

and thanks old tell for those pics.i noticed rudge liked to keep the chromed fork crown cap
through the decades.
another world is seen here now, another dimension of antique bicycles and motorcycles.
i woud'nt have thought 1910 stuff would come up for sale v often, not on ebay :LOL:

m really interesting,imagine burning people off on that raleigh X bike that would proper freak
them out !
ww2 parachute regiment folder.i new they did little motorbikes also

some of them not as expensive as i would have imagined

Tel ,ive always wondered about this bike,it a has a twin down tube and a sloping t tube.the seat tube is curved
to the wheel.any idea ?

Attachments

• 119.JPG
    119.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 817
Re:

Hi, where did you dig that out from, the history of the bicycle is well documented and I've not got that much time, but basically what you have to appreciate is that the bicycle in late Victorian times was a rich mans toy, really interesting engineering but not cheap. That bike looks like an early safety bike, the switch from pennies to the rear chain driven bikes had probably just happened, note the larger rear wheel and crude chain arrangement, so basically late Victorian manufacturers at the time were trying all sorts of 'engineering' to sell distinct bikes - does that sound familiar ? Some wonderful frames and shapes. Terry

Re:

thanks i got it a ripley cycle jumble a few years ago i was told its quite a common photo.
in the 90's there was much raving about the sloping top tubes and its pretty
standard form on steel these days.....but i look at this photo and grin :cool:
the bb detail looks so unusual.
one of my dreams is to have a similar bike made and do london to brighton on it. :)
[no i had not noticed the L rear...bit of a hot rod then :p ]
kevin the gerbil

yes and apologies to 'mikyboyo' for going off on a tangent & hijacking. is it a rudge or a raleigh made

RK When is your book due to be published...is there much stuff on this ?

oonaff":361loj2d said:
yes and apologies to 'mikyboyo' for going off on a tangent & hijacking. is it a rudge or a raleigh made

No need to apologise :) the thread didn't go off on much of a tangent, I still learned about the history of the bike and that is what I set out to find :) Keithglos said it is a low end Raleigh from the 50s, and he really knows his stuff, I am now wondering what Raleigh model this will be if it has been badge engineered, could it be a Lenton?

Back