The Bottom Bracket Axle length directory!

sinnett177

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Feedback
View
Isn't it time we had a directory of bottom bracket axle lengths?

Tell you what, you tell me what you know and i'll post it up here on the front page. All brands needed, don't be shy if your not sure, we can always edit the list if your proved wrong :D

Shimano

XTR:
M900 = 107mm

XT:
M730 = 122mm

Have you mentioned this thread to Sidewinder...? ;)

Here are some of the square tapers I'm running:
DX M650 = 122.5mm
LX M563 = 110mm
XT M739 = 113mm

Tallpaul":tu4oggc2 said:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_brackets/bb_comptable.shtml

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Worth bearing in mind that correct Q value can also be dependant on the frame itself, not just the BB axle length. Hence a range of axle length being quoted by Sheldon.
Reckon Tallpaul has saved us all alot of work here. Any chance we can add this to FAQ?

Here are my findings...

Off road.
XTR M900 - 109mm
Toplines - 127mm
Cooks ( All dogbone types) - 122mm
Middleburn (original) - 122mm
Middleburn RS1 - 124mm, but 122.5mm is close
Middleburn RS7 - 113mm
LX M565 - 109mm
XT M730 - 122mm
XT M737 - 109mm

Road.
Campagnolo C. Record/Chorus/Athena/Croce d'aune - 111mm

Interestingly though, on Amp Research frames the spindle length has to increase by a few mm to get the clearance. Such as a 127mm BB had to be used for Middleburns, and 111mm for XTR M900. Worth noting that they were both standard drive and not compact.

I thought the BB spindle length depends on the cranks and the frame they're being used on. Attached is a page from a Klein technical manual and in it, you'll see that there are variations on crank length depending on the frame & crank brand. Reading across, you'll see that the Klein Adept typically requires a shorter BB length relative to the other Klein models.

Attachments

• Klein Bottom Bracket Lengths.jpg
    Klein Bottom Bracket Lengths.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 4,561
Back