Kona Rear V brake conversion - Done - Show us yours !

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
After getting my 94 Cindercone in (totally original guise) I really couldnt get on with the kona canti's to put blunt they are pants as pants can be. I want to ride this but to still have the option to return to normal canti's with out any perminent bodge, After lots of umming and ahhing ....... I had a thought :shock:, I have kept the original canti guide & turned it 90 degrees , I then removed the allen bolt and replaced with a spare rear mech cable tensioner which happened to be the same thread :cool: I then took apart a spare V noodle and fitted the cable retainer to the v brake retainer keeping a small amount of clear inner hose which is fiited into V brake at lower end of cable and hey presto it works like a dream. So nice to be able to stop :cool:

I thought I would share this and would alse be interested to see how you have done upgrade.

Aug09pics056.jpg

Aug09pics057.jpg

Aug09pics058.jpg

Aug09pics059.jpg

Should be ok so long as it doesn't slip round as the cutouts on the lower edge no longer keep it in place. I suppose if the gear adjuster barrel thingy clamps it tight enough it should be ok - worth keeping an eye on - good idea though :cool:

I did the standard "drilling" method on mine :roll: which is ok as i've no intention of putting cantis back on this bike.

stew-b":3ga4g5zr said:
excellent work :)

ps use the 'macro' mode on your camera to get them in focus ;)

Just because the camera is in macro mode it won't automatically select an off-centre focus point though.... ;). It'll autofocus on whatever happens to be in its focusing zone (by default that's usually the centre of the frame, unless you have multiple points selected).

The answer here is either focus manually, or focus, hold first pressure and recompose and then take the shot.

Andy R":2rjz69cu said:
stew-b":2rjz69cu said:

Just because the camera is in macro mode it won't automatically select an off-centre focus point though.... ;). It'll autofocus on whatever happens to be in its focusing zone (by default that's usually the centre of the frame, unless you have multiple points selected).

The answer here is either focus manually, or focus, hold first pressure and recompose and then take the shot.

yeah i know that :roll: was just trying to help.....

Interesting about the camera, took about 5 shots with macro ect ect but this was the best :p

The rear guide is very tight and doesnt slip and the cable tensioner can be done up tight with small spanner or pliers. I will keep an eye on this, any movement will be reflected in braking performance instantly.

if i had an original guide thats exactly what i would have done . im glad the theory works in practice :D

as i didnt have a guide i had to buy a backstop to go around the toptube

if you can get hold of a length of nokon cable itl give a tighter radius going from that to the v . scavenge the end from a noodle to fit the end of the V

stew-b":1fer3loa said:
Andy R":1fer3loa said:
stew-b":1fer3loa said:

yeah i know that :roll: was just trying to help.....

So was I ... :?

Back