Ritchey re-build/White Industries front hub question

JPintheCAN

Dirt Disciple
Hello. I am updating/upgrading a bike and will be receiving another one in the next couple of weeks. I thought I'd document it all here.

Upgrade parts arrived from my mate, Scott, in TN today.
3794757340_607619e8d5.jpg

The frame and fork are being coated as I type...

I hope to have both rolling together in time for the world mtb champs that start in just over two weeks time, and will be posting this sort of garbage til then.

Sorry if you've lost interest already.... I am jumping out of my skin :)

Looks good. But the postman must have dropped your seatpin :LOL: Keep the pictures coming :D

Picked up the frame and fork today...

3796916441_c0d1e58af9.jpg

3796913171_f0c97549c1.jpg

The powdercoat is nice... thin. And I like the two colours together.

Front wheel is also done, but pics will be up tomorrow.... Actually, if i can find a PG850 in Canberra tomorrow, the whole shebang should be done.

JPintheCAN":18wr5n8c said:
Picked up the frame and fork today...

3796916441_c0d1e58af9.jpg

3796913171_f0c97549c1.jpg

The powdercoat is nice... thin. And I like the two colours together.

me too mostly - ain't nuttin' wrong with a bit of modern modding / hot rodding... bikes are for riding after all!

Well, all three wheels are built, but no nice 8 sp cassettes to be found in town, so waiting on that from chain reaction now... but ss set up is complete.
3802685437_e8234f5304.jpg

3803495128_bc8069d92c.jpg

Thanks again to Gil for the stickers! I like em a lot. Also happy that I got a couple of sets... these arent bang on perfectly straight and if it gets to me, I can have another crack at it.

Only thing is, when i was destressing the front hub by pressing on the rim while it as on the floor, seems the adjustment collar on the front hub slipping a nanoteenth of a metre, and now is has a tiny bit of play... which is fine if you can access the 2mm adjusting bolt, but that is sadly not happening! seems the bolt is not in line with the hole, a little further away from the centre line of the hub. Has this happened to anyone else?
Anyway, I'll get it sorted one way or another.

My nicest suprise when pulling the frame apart was the titanium seat post binder bolt... I've never felt a titanium bolt before. Also, the White Industries BB made me wonder why all BBs are the same. Its a nice bit of kit to install.

It's light... I haven't weighed it yet but its pretty great. I havent started tuebless yet as I havent been able to find two folding 26x2.10 small block 8s... but again, will post the end weight when done.

Thumbshifter is on, ready for 8sp action, and i think i'll leave it there when in ss mode too. Those wcs truegrips are strange... left hand side went on no problemo, but the right was a shocker... at least 15mins of pushing, twisting and pulling. I'm not going to be taking that shifter off anytime soon.

So I guess it will be a few days before a) the cassette arrives and b) the second and far more retro/classic/authentic bike arrives. I'll keep the updates rolling though.

Back