Chain lube!

OldFatTi

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Been using White Lightning dry lube and pretty impressed with how clean it keeps things, but not impressed with how often it needs re-applying - it doesn't seem to even last one whole ride!

Obviously you can't have everything, but any recommendations for a longer lasting, clean & dry lube?

I use White Lightning also and think it brilliant stuff. I'd go as far as saying that it's transformed my cycling life. Seriously since using it I haven't had to clean my drivetrain for years, just a wipe of the chain with a clean rag and re lube. Everything runs like clockwork and seems to be lasting longer due to it being so clean.
But I totally agree with you about it's lack of durability, it really is wimpy stuff.. I just conceded that it is so unique in it's cleanness, that its worth the expense of applying really gererously and often. It's also about the only lube that you can get away with applying mid-ride, because of the self cleaning thing, -ie it's not just gonna turn into a grinding-paste like others do. Also I've found that it builds up a nice wax coating which improves over time..

Totally agree mate, but I'm going through it like beer at the moment and it isn't that cheap! ;)

Just wondered if there were other alternatives (like Krytech, Finish Line Ceramic etc) that people had found any better?

It's true though, the whole cleanliness thing is great, I was tempted to go back to motor oil, but that would be diirrrty like Christina Aguilera.

Appologies for going on about it but I reckon it's just about the best upgrade I've made. It does benefit from being left to dry for a few hours before a ride, or overnight ideally. The other thing that seems essential is that the chain must be meticulously degreased before you first apply the stuff or it just won't stick properly, even a brand new chain has to be cleaned first.
I always get a ride or two out of a squirts-worth, even in the wet and just think it's magic! :p

I changed over to the rock n roll range of lubes, been using about 8 months now and find they are really good, the blue extreme lube is excellent.. :)

i use engine oil and a small paint brush to apply it lol... works bloody well. and doesnt clog

OldFatTi":32xpsv7i said:
Been using White Lightning dry lube and pretty impressed with how clean it keeps things, but not impressed with how often it needs re-applying - it doesn't seem to even last one whole ride!

I'm still using my bottle of original White Lightning. It was far better when it first came out - a lot more water resistant and long lasting.

Have you tried White Lightning Epic? That's supposed to be a heavier mix and should stay on the chain longer.

ferrus":17p9hsgd said:
Appologies for going on about it but I reckon it's just about the best upgrade I've made. It does benefit from being left to dry for a few hours before a ride, or overnight ideally. The other thing that seems essential is that the chain must be meticulously degreased before you first apply the stuff or it just won't stick properly, even a brand new chain has to be cleaned first.
I always get a ride or two out of a squirts-worth, even in the wet and just think it's magic! :p

Agree ;)

I've been using this Chain-L stuff. It's thick and sticky like chainsaw oil, you apply it, leave it to soak in and wipe off the excess. It seem to be working very well for me, but admittedly I haven't been doing any offroading recently. I got a free sample off the guy who makes it, I'll probably buy some when it runs out.

Clearly though, that's not a dry lube.

If i really wanted to go dry i'd be getting some Boeshield t-9 or militec.

Back