Too fat for a Retrobike?

barney

Dirt Disciple
Just wanted to get peoples opinion on this frame builders view point, obviously the pressures of our current obsession with peoples weight has reached mountain biking.

I did a search for Tange Prestige on google and this was about the 4th hit.

I'm not taking it seriously and its not changing the fact I want a 94/95 Kileaua again.

So this is the quote:
"A frame built from Tange Prestige tubing will give a great ride to a sub-150-pound rider, but the same frame in the hands of a 200 pounder will be too flexible and may actually fail in use."

In 94 I was an 18yr old sub ten stone racing snake, fast forward to 2009 and I'm 12 stone and no where near as healthy!

Ok I don't throw myself around on a bike like I used to and the trails of Peterborough are boringly flat to say the least but will I not find the same enjoyment from this bike?

Cheers, going for a full english! :LOL:

Just ride the things and don't worry about your weight, I ride a singlespeed Tange Ultimate ULTRALIGHT and I weigh 15 1/2 stone (217 pounds for our american brethren or 98kg for our EU brothers).

I asked a similar question last year sometime. Try a search for Ritchey P21 and my username. The opinion was these things are often writen by lawyers. (Did you know that 99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name?) Possibly the most rugged and bombproof bike I have ever owned is a 1990 top end Saracen. This is Prestiege and it has never crossed my mind it may not be strong enough for me. I should imagine the Kona weighs a lot less though. Ask Kona experts such as Anthony and Guybe their opinion.

I think it's more about riding style. If you ride like a nutter and do jumps and other tricks then the light frame will break. Ride it like a mtb and I see no reason for it to fail. mtb's are not BMX :D

mtb's are not BMX

when did that happen , didnt anyone think to tell me :cry:

i know of a very nice ti frame that has cracked in a month ( ok that month had seen over 1000 miles ) rigid and rocks day in and day out delt it a death .

i think i weigh about 13stone never really considered myself a smooth rider but have never ( at least nothing i can remember as i type ) broken anything just riding along . im sure you will be fine , just dont huck it off a cliff :LOL:

i was in bike shop near my work the other week talking to the owner about a road bike, mainly the wheels......now, i am overweight.. VERY VERY overweight and he had no issues about the frame...just that the wheels had no "shock absorbtion" because of the narrow hard pressure tyres....at least that is what I think he meant! (he has a lovely dolan with campag throughout i was drooling over) He said my weight could be a prob and best to wait unti li have lost a bit more...
On a seperate note...I have so far lost three stone in weight.....I have a second hand marin palisades trail which i ride every day and I am not averse to having a go around the trails and woods on it aswell as the canal and roads......in short i have kicked the shit out of this bike in my opinion...it still rides great and keeps coming back for more (touch wood :D :D )

my overly long winded point it this...if i can ride with no probs then surely a featherweight like you is no worries?

I'll add to the 'I'm overweight and still ride MTB's' vote....DON'T WORRY, buy it and ride it chap !!!

I still ride a Pace every week and im 14st 13lb (its going down now i'm back on the Turbo Trainer though). In theory i'm WAY to heavy for this frame.........it hasn't broke, I have great fun riding it and my other bikes so feck it I say :twisted:

Yep I'll ALSO add my 'weight' to the 'overweight and still rides an MTB'.

Dyna-Techs being occasionally prone to failure around the lugs I was a bit concerned when I got mine in 1990 as I was a portly 19 stone...

Well, despite years of real-ale, I'm still 19 stone and the Dyna-Tech is still in one piece :LOL:

Ride-and-enjoy indeedy.

Fat blokes can ride light bikes.

Just do it carefully and don't be a complete berk and you'll be fine! :D

I sometimes wear lycra too, but only when I am sure I have the hills pretty much to myself! :LOL:

Back