Mmm they look familiar

B3

Senior Retro Guru
Now i wonder where they got the idea for the Vector fork from? :roll: :D

These were patented in 1903, just goes to show things come around time and again, roll on 2083! :LOL:

Attachments

• spring_front_bike_suspention.jpg
    spring_front_bike_suspention.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 1,126
B3":3k9c0t0c said:
Now i wonder where they got the idea for the Vector fork from? :roll: :D

These were patented in 1903, just goes to show things come around time and again, roll on 2083! :LOL:

2087. ;)

If you look at most, if not all, modern "innovations" on bikes you'll find that they've been around before.

V brakes: from a Honda scooter in the 50s
Hollowtech cranks, external bearing BBs and splined BB axles: Magic Motorcycle had the idea long before Shimano (there's probably earlier examples but I'm not the Encyclopaedia Britannica! :LOL: ).

Xesh":mw5kara1 said:
Hollowtech cranks, external bearing BBs and splined BB axles: Magic Motorcycle had the idea long before Shimano (there's probably earlier examples but I'm not the Encyclopaedia Britannica! :LOL: ).

I think it was a Bullseye patent.

gm1230126":2unukpsr said:
Xesh":2unukpsr said:

I think it was a Bullseye patent.

Yes. 'Was' being the word :( still that's the world of cycling products :|

to be fair the shimano execution is a lot better than bullseye

i find it more amusing that BB30 is going to be more widely adopted.. push fit b.bracket bearings all over again.

scant":vgfpxwnp said:
i find it more amusing that BB30 is going to be more widely adopted.. push fit b.bracket bearings all over again.

What about the BB90 standard on the new Trek Top Fuels? Is this just BB30 with a different name or something completely different?

Xesh":282d41za said:
V brakes: from a Honda scooter in the 50s
There was a French touring bike made in the 30s that had V brakes. Can't remember its name at the mo, but I read a book on prewar French bikes and it was there.
All aluminium too!
The thing is, we can't actually make anything like a bike any better than we could in the 30s. Do you honestly believe 1930s technology would have been incapable of making a 10 speed cassette?

chris667":279ejp8k said:
The thing is, we can't actually make anything like a bike any better than we could in the 30s. Do you honestly believe 1930s technology would have been incapable of making a 10 speed cassette?

I quite agree - there is little on the metal stuff. Plastics and composites, definitely though.
The other big difference is in cost for precision parts, due to NC machining and better tooling. So stuff that would have taken a time-served craftsman and a machine ship can now be knocked up in a factory in Vietnam with unskilled machine minders.

Back