The 'Magura Lottery'

BoyBurning

Karma King
Bontrager Fan
Have always run Magura rim brakes on the Pace and found them to be a doddle to fit and set-up, and really nice to use.

Based on this experience I got a lovely set of early yellow RaceLines for the Psyclone - but they don't fit the rear. It's a U-Brake model, so I was going to run the brackets upside down. The frame is a size too large though and there isn't enough 'run' for the brackets so I can't fit them. They fit fine on my Avalanche which is an 18" U-Brake model. This is a 19" though and the studs are that little bit further up the stays...

The front brake fits fine on the RS Mag20 fork I'm using.

So, I decided to use the brakes instead on a bike I'm building for GirlBurning. Have decided the Zinn is too nice for her to ride everyday so am making her another bike.

The brakes fitted fine on the rear with a bit of fiddling.

They won't fit on the bloody front though!!

They fit fine on the RS forks, but not on a set of Mani Mach 5s!

WHY!!!!

This is driving me round the bloody bend! Every bike I decide to fit them on they decide they aren't going to fit!!

One day the front fits fine and it's the backs that are the problem - the next time it's the other flamin' way around!!!

AAAAArrrghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Anyone else on here ever get miffed by the bloody Magura Lottery?!!

Time for a cuppa.

I got the round file out and filed the Magura mounts hole bigger to fit the U brake bosses. But a lot of mount disappeared before they fitted :shock:

Not a problem getting it onto the stud - It's 1mm larger in ø for a U over a canti stud, but I have another mount which I've filed to fit - it's a case of length along the seat stay if that makes sense?

As for the front one, that seems to be spacing between the two - ie. it's as if the rim is too fat.

It could well be, but I'm too angry and annoyed to be bothered to get the Verniers out at the moment...!

remember you can swap the left and right evo mounts so that the step is on the inside instead of the outside.

BoyBurning":3upcg1ow said:
Not a problem getting it onto the stud - It's 1mm larger in ø for a U over a canti stud, but I have another mount which I've filed to fit - it's a case of length along the seat stay if that makes sense?

I had the same problem on my '88 Explosif - I couldn't get the pads low enough to clear the tyre without extending the length of the slot in the mount. They do work now, but tyre clearance is marginal - so much so that I chamfered the top edge of the pads for a little more clearance.

Back