Chains - recommendations please

Radar

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Need a new 9 speed chain for the Pace, and a 10 for the Cougar.

Needs to be not too expensive, not made by Shimano or Sram (although if I had to choose a chain made by a firm beginning with S it would be a Dura Ace). Don't even attempt to persuade me back to a Sram chain - worst bike product I've ever bought (or is that a 10speed Dura Ace hub?)

KMC gold look spangly, Connex any good?
ta in advance

Snapped them all but, Rohloff.

You'll never change it again. I promise you. A bit more money, but totally awesome. Sram, Shimano, KMC and Wippermann do not stack up to this chain. I tried the above cheaper alternatives, but they really are rubbish. They kill drivetrains, snap and leave you stranded in middle earth. I have been using my Rohloff for 2 years now (which is so far the record for a chain) and according to the stretch indicator, it hasn't moved. Other chains recorded stretch after a couple of months. Soon as they stretch, they damage everything...Cassettes, chainrings, jockey wheels and finally your wallet.

Seven speed chain I used to use back in the day !?!?

Was it Sach's Champagne ? Ring any bells anyone !!

suparich":jdbyvupt said:
what about seven speed?

I used a Rohloff 8 speed no problems.

Sedis silver and Sedis pro were excellent in their day. Don't be fooled since their takeover!

benandemu":2k4bs915 said:
Sedis silver and Sedis pro were excellent in their day. Don't be fooled since their takeover!

That's for sure :!: Just take a look at the individual rollers,for instance, on a new Sachs chain, pitted and very poorly engineered.

Back