Gear & brake cables?

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Had a scoot through history search and didnt find much....

What gear and brake cables (inners & outers) do you use & give the thumbs up? :D

Budget kind of ... Cant afford £70 a bike on gore stuff :cry:

I went for one of those XTR sets with the inners, outers and rubber sleeves for the Bontrager. Try Chain Reaction as I think they are cheaper. Made a hell of a difference too.

Most of the time I go cheaper and lube them every couple of rides or so.

I use Jagwire or XT. I always lube up before using them ;)

XTR cables were going cheap in CRC, found out after I bought my last set of XT's :roll:

I'm not convinced that XTR are different from XT, aside from the better colour.

Anyway, I think it's a good rule of thumb for things like cables, chains, brake pads, tools etc never to buy Shimano. Nothing against Shimano, but it's an obvious business plan for them to trade on their name - why give VFM?

Clarks make good cables, Jagwire etc. People seem to say Avid Flack Jackets are similarly poor to Shimano, for the same reason I imagine. Gore may be good for all I know, but the cost is impossible to justify when Clarks, Jagwire etc work perfectly well.

Anthony":a0l3v8cf said:

Anyway, I think it's a good rule of thumb for things like cables, chains, brake pads, tools etc never to buy Shimano. Nothing against Shimano, but it's an obvious business plan for them to trade on their name - why give VFM?

Clarks make good cables, Jagwire etc. People seem to say Avid Flack Jackets are similarly poor to Shimano, for the same reason I imagine. Gore may be good for all I know, but the cost is impossible to justify when Clarks, Jagwire etc work perfectly well.

XTR cables come pre-greased. £10 metres of gear outer is like £7 trade.

I have gone for modern XTR on the gears and old school XT for the brakes - the 'wire rope' type :

DSC03454.jpg

WD :D

scant":n7aqoqht said:
Anthony":n7aqoqht said:

XTR cables come pre-greased. £10 metres of gear outer is like £7 trade.

are the inners not PTFE or some other coating also.

FluffyChicken":6xxh0ant said:
are the inners not PTFE or some other coating also.

Yep! Well the XTR ones are anyway. Personally I use XTR outer casing with a stainless steel slick gear inner (they're smooth but not teflon coated). I've found that after a while the teflon coating comes off and causes more problems than it solves.

Back