Brake & Gear cable suggestions - what’s best?

JCS

Kona Fan
Hi all - looking for tips and suggestions on what brake and gear cables work best.

I run a 1991 cinder cone with XT shifters and rear mech, and Deore II brake levers with XTR cantilevers.

My current cables are Jagwire , but I am not sure the brake inner cables are up to the job. The metal ‘ends’ in the brake lever keep twisting around.

Should I order Shimano or are there other options that work well?

Thanks

I only use Shimano on my own bikes. My local bike shop always find it odd that I insist on it but I've found jagwire to be poor in most cases.
I too have a 91 Cinder Cone, just need to re-paint the Velocity & P2's, then she'll be getting built n cabled up.

Nipples were bigger (motorbike size) bitd. New cables just want an adapter as fluffy says....they come in plastic and brass.

Or buy fat cables....but you will need the outers to match. But xt fat looks better and the cable ferrules actually fill the adjuster too...not flopping about.

That can be fixed by putting a motorbike ferrule over a bike one!

Reactions: JCS
Nipples were bigger (motorbike size) bitd. New cables just want an adapter as fluffy says....they come in plastic and brass.

Or buy fat cables....but you will need the outers to match. But xt fat looks better and the cable ferrules actually fill the adjuster too...not flopping about.

That can be fixed by putting a motorbike ferrule over a bike one!
I'm trying to find a link to buy such an adapter - can anyone provide a link or other means to buy one?

1682265879196.png

Thanks

Thats who i use....^

They did make fantastic chainrings in champagne pink at one time too! I think i have one somewhere!

Back