Pace RC35 MXCD - elastomers froze and never thawed??? Help!

orange71

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I have a very nice set of RC35 MXCD forks whose elastomers seemed to be working fine on several rides up until I went up Kinder Scout the other day. It was quite icy and I noticed the forks getting less responsive as the ride went on until eventually they were fully rigid... OK, I thought, it's cold they've frozen. Shouldn't happen, but it has.

However they still seem to be frozen - why aren't they working again? I have yet to open them up and perhaps I'll get some answers then, but any thoughts? :?

Moisture?

Is it possible that there some moisture in the forks from a ride or cleaning down that could still be frozen? Where do you keep the bike? Cold shed ,toasty garage or in the lounge! I'm just guessing.

cold cellar. However when it was warm the other day they were still frozen. I guess I'll just have to strip them down...

and they were all right in the cold cellar up until the ride.

It sounds like they're knackered. Send them to me and I'll throw them away for you! :LOL: :LOL: :p

wow - dead easy to service! Work much better now I've taken them apart. However two questions -

a) what grease should I use - is marine waterproof grease OK? It's not lithium based. Quite thick though

b) should I line up any holes/eyes - I notice there's some holes in the stanchions that look like they line up with the elastomers inside or something?

cheers!

The holes in the stanchions line up with similar ones in the skewers so that you can lock everything up with a thin allen key (or similar) so that it doesn't all spin round when you're doing up the retaining bolts an stuff. ;)

Back