When did Shimano introduce V-Brakes?

BarneyRubble

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
As above really, when did The Big S introduce V-brakes and was it across the range, or just the top end?

Edit - Now I know when they started, (thanks chaps) which are considered retro and are most reliable?

I've heard M950 get play in them, so are m951's the best option?

First appeared in late 96 for the 97 model year and initially only XTR and XT level.

XTR Vs were about on many a pros bike thoughout the 96 world cups though being "tested".

Early 1996. But they rattled, and offered a shim kit as a hop-up to stop the rattling and squeaking.
Pros were testing '95

Cheers! :)

So moving the debate on, which V-brakes satisfy the retro community but still work well? Is it best to go for XTR (M951)?

BarneyRubble":mo7a9ib3 said:
So moving the debate on, which V-brakes satisfy the retro community but still work well? Is it best to go for XTR (M951)?

Personally, I'd say it's hard to beat the simplicity of the original M600 LX V brakes. No pivots to rattle.

I jumped on the Shimano M600 LX V-brake bandwagon about 97ish, best thing I ever did regarding mtb's.....I could stop :D :D :D

This is the thing, I have recently started riding a 94 Lava Dome to work instead of my modern disc equipped bike and I love it :) ....except for the total absence of stopping power in the wet! :(

I want to keep the bike as retro as possible, but also want to stay alive, so I think V-s are the only way to go.

the important thing to remember is, that as soon as V's came out EVERYONE bought them

cantis died flat overnight

so there's plenty of case for more-modern V's on an early 90's bike

Back