SPD Advice?

m-trax

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
When riding my feet tends to hurt in the centre, and someone suggested to me that I should try SPDs as it would help.

Except I know nothing about them.

Is it better just to get clipless pedals, or is it better to get the combined platform/clipless ones?

What shoes/pedals are best?

Budget wise I was thinking of around £50 for shoes and pedals. I figured this would get me something semi-decent?

Will I need to purchase some knee protectors until i get used to them? :LOL:

Always used time atac and got dodgy knees , Just got me mate onto them too .

He was away and clipping in quite happy within a ride

What shoes do you currently ride in? It sounds to me like your soles are too soft/flexible. Some rigid soled shoes with a good insole may be all you need to cure your aching feet. However, SPD's offer more benefits than just comfort (but I do find their 'comfort' to be their greatest advantage as they keep my feet planted in the optimum position and the shoe/pedal combination is an inherently stable riding platform)

Budget wise I was thinking of around £50 for shoes and pedals. I figured this would get me something semi-decent?

Thats a tight budget for both fella. Decent SPD shoes with a hard sole cost a bit...and as already suggested that may well be the problem.
I have some SPD pedals available..not new but good enough if you want to try before you commit?
Cheers
Carl
EDIT But I guess you would have to commit to shoes...doh...but if you want some pedals let me know...just pay postage

i got my SPD's and shoes in a merlin deal. possibly the most cost-effective way

Shoes

Just buy some bike specific flatties, these have a rigid sole, I used to use SPD's for years, but I think they encourage sloppy technique and it's a real pain if you want to just jump on to scoot down to the shops, or do any walking about during the ride. My local trails where I used to live were more rolling and trails, spd's worked well, but locally its all tight twisty technical stuff and clips are a big no no.

Back