Servicing a first generation Crossmax Freehub

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Ok, query on behalf of a friend follows:

"In summary, I have a pair of 1st Generation Mavic Crossmax. The rear freehub is not turning smoothly. Suspect bearing #2 is shot. I need to get freehub off to replace bearing.

I have used the little plastic mavic tool to remove the bearing cover on the non drive side, so bearing #3 is visible. I know that you put an allen key in at the drive and non drive side, and turn in opposing directions. This releases a small shaft from the drive side.

I thought after this that the freehub would come easily off the shaft, but it doesn't. So either it is stuck, or I need to do something more. I was thinking that maybe all I had to do was smack the shaft from the non
drive side, and it would pop out at the freehub / drive side and the freehub could then be got at, but I don't want to do this in case there is still something else that needs to be released internally first.

Any help would be appreciated. Can't find anything on web in spite of a lot of searching."

Any help/advice would be much appreciated (and apologies if this has been covered before, couldn't find anything)

Attachments

• Mavic Freehub.jpg
    Mavic Freehub.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 968
you need a 10mm hex on the kysiriums, i imagine its the same, pop all the crap off the LHS and stick a 10mm allen in the LHS to remove the FH.

there's a youtube video on this, i posted it up in another thread

i have a spare freehub body kicking around that i think is OK that i'd part with for a few beer tokens

edit: on the pair i had, the freehub body did not come off easily, and i discovered after considerable effort to remove it that the freehub carrier was cracked :(

Latest posts

Back